Eatc fan problem

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
My 99 Limited with the EATC system won't allow me to reduce the fan speed. It stays on high all the time. The steering wheel control for won't slow it down either. I tried disconnecting the battery over night to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the part suggestions but where is it located on the vehicle.

Thanks for the part suggestions but where is it located on the vehicle.

On the passenger side of the engine compartment on the firewall, at the 5:00 position relative to the blower fan motor. It's held in by 2 screws. It's a bit hard to get at unless you remove some stuff, or you can go through the passenger side plastic inner fender.

Or to put it simply, just below the blower fan and off to the right.

Very common on most Fords. I replaced one on a 2002 Mustang a few months ago as well. Same symptoms.

Very common on most Fords. I replaced one on a 2002 Mustang a few months ago as well. Same symptoms.
Actually, these are better than later ones, which omitted the bypass relay (saving Ford perhaps 50 cents). It's all or nothing, but at least you get heating and cooling when the transistor fails. When the one on my 98 Vic died in the midst of summer, there was no air flow at all.

The video I just found on this replacement shows removing the blower wheel. Is this necessary or can I get to it without taking that apart. Thanks

The video I just found on this replacement shows removing the blower wheel. Is this necessary or can I get to it without taking that apart. Thanks
It depends how skinny and double-jointed your fingers are. If they aren't, you will probably have to remove the coolant overflow bottle and the cruise control servo as well - it's a really tight spot.

It depends how skinny and double-jointed your fingers are. If they aren't, you will probably have to remove the coolant overflow bottle and the cruise control servo as well - it's a really tight spot.
Thanks for the info, that is what the video showed as well.

Back