Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Eaton M112 Supercharger Installed

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by mrboostman, July 19, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 XLT
      Hi all,
      I have just completed the installation of an Eaton M112 Supercharger from a 03-04 Cobra on a 2000 Explorer 5.0. The vehicle is up and running with a SCT Tune, but I am still working the bugs out as it is operating at only 5 LBS of boost which is about a quarter of its potential. It still pulls much harder than the Eaton M90 I had on it, but I am trying to build more boost. If anyone needs additional info about the project feel free to PM or email mrshoman1@yahoo.com I can send you pics if you send me an email address as I don't think I can attach pics to this thread.
      Thanks, Damon.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Anchorage, Alaska
      '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
      you should get a free account at someplace like photobucket.com then you can post the pics on here.
      I'm sure numerous people would be interested in seeing this. Myself included.

What other info on this? Did you start out with like an Explorer Express supercharger kit and just upgrade the supercharger, or lots of custom work?

4. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Virginia Beach, Va
      00 4x4 Mounty
      YES I need pics especially of the manifold. I didn't think the elbow would clear the cowl but I guess so. Running a 6 rib belt on a 8 rib pulley also?

5. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
    6. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
      Yes, this project started off with the EE M90 kit. That got maxed out at 10 lbs of boost and about a 17,000 rpm blower speed. I then added torque monster headers, gt40 aluminum heads, a comp cams blower cam, and snow performance methanol injection system. It made about 275 RWHP. When I am able to make 12-14 lbs of boost with the M112 I should be at 400-450 HP at the tires. The truck is a 4X2 with a 4R70W auto trans and 410 rear gears. I have converted it to a Hurst racheting floor shifter.

7. V8BOOST

V8BOOST Member

City, State:
      Sylmar, CA
      2000 Explorer
      Awesome Damon,
      Can wait to see the results once u get that crank pulley taken care of, Here are some of you're pictures, awesome build & clean installation :thumbsup:
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
      Nestor,
      Thanks for helping post the pics directly. I will keep you posted on the results once I get the larger crank pulley built. Probably go from stock 6 inch to maybe a 7.5. Good luck on your install project too.
      Damon.

9. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      You might want to consider a water injection system. I had a Kenne Bell Blowzilla/Flowzilla combo on my Mustang with a water/alcohol injection system on it. Some of my other gear head buddies had centrifugal blowers on theirs with the same injection system. We did dyno runs using straight alcohol, water and a mix of both. The straight water made the most power. It takes very little water to cool the air from the blower substantially. IMO, the power increase came from the greater cooling effects of the water only and gasoline has a greater specific energy than alcohol. Whatever caused the power increase it was consistent across different types of blowers. The other benefit is I had to fill the bottle far less often using straight water and water is cheap and plentiful. Just make sure your pump is water compatible if you do it. This also made tuning a little easier because only one type of fuel is used.

10. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
      I was using the snow performance kit which calls for a 50/50 mix of methanol and water when I was running 10 lbs of boost on the Eaton M90 and it was definetely necessary to control detonation on CA 91 octane fuel. Now on the M112 since it is only making 5lbs of boost I temporarily disconnected it. When I make more boost from the M112 I will reconnect it. Let me get this strait you are saying I can make more power by just using water instead of the 50/50 mix of water methanol? If the pump is compatible with just water?

11. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      Looks great. I assume you plan to get a cowl hood, or hood scoop?

12. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
      I am adding a hood scoop soon and will post a pic when installed.

13. FatJoe

FatJoe New Member

City, State:
      So-Cal
      thats awsome...what pulley is that a 2.80?? you should get the eaton ported and run a bigger crank pulley...17-20lbs of boost would be sick

14. bigtang

bigtang New Member

City, State:
      houston
      1998 XLT
      this idea has crossed my mind several times. there's a guy on corral.net that sells the adapter to mate the lower to the eaton and a snout extension to line everything up w/ the stock pulleys. should pull like a freight train, or at least a trolley compared to stock. and I was just excited to do my HO cam and 1.7 rockers.

15. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Water only made more power on our blown Mustangs. I am not an experienced engine designer or chemist but there can only be so many reasons for the power increase on the cars. One is water will absorb a lot more heat vaporizing than alcohol so it might make for a cooler charge and take up less space in the combustion chamber than a water/alcohol mix. Since the blower is shoving the same amount of air, or maybe slightly more, into the cylinders the extra fuel needed to keep the A/F right will make more power than alcohol due to its higher specific energy. Using water may have made the tune more consistent by keeping the control of metering the fuel in the hands of the tuner. When spraying alcohol that isn't factored into the computer's engine adjustments, based on sensor inputs, it may make the tune more hit and miss function. Or it could be a combination of all these factors. The fact water made more power on four different blown cars was too much to be coincidence. The power difference was around 5-6%.

The key is to make sure the pump is water compatible. We all had to swap out our pumps in a few months because they were rusting pretty bad.

Also, it was critical for us to use a smaller nozzle. The one we used for water/alcohol or straight alcohol was too large and would bog the engine. I am not familiar with the Snow kits. They weren't available at the time. We used an SMC kit that the turbo Buick guys used and modified it for our cars. SMC eventually sold a kit that was capable os increasing the spray pressure as boost pressure and/or RPMs increased. The volume of air flow determines the amount of liquid needed to cool the air and air flow volume changes greatly with RPM. Without this adjustment ability you need to pick what RPM range you sprayed for and it could cause the engine to bog off the line because too much water and/or alcohol was sprayed at lower RPMs.

IMO, I think the power increase came from the higher specific energy of gasoline compared to alcohol and the tuning was more precise since only finely metered fuel was used and the computer knew exactly how much fuel entered the combustion chamber.

16. FatJoe

FatJoe New Member

City, State:
      So-Cal
      i never liked the snow kit...why not just go get a good tune and you wouldnt have to worry about detonation??

17. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      On a supercharged car a good tune may not be good enough. Superchargers heat the air entering the engine substantially and this, in turn, can cause detonation which can destroy a motor before you can lift your foot off the throttle. To dissipate this heat there are basically two options. One is an intercooler and the second option is to use a liquid changing to a vapor to cool the air. This process absorbs a lot of heat. Using a vaporizing liquid can actually cool the intake air to below ambient temperature. This method is also easier to install than many intercoolers. Water and/or alcohol injection allows more power to be made or it adds a nice safety factor against heat which is always a concern on forced induction engines.

18. V8BOOST

V8BOOST Member

City, State:
      Sylmar, CA
      2000 Explorer
      Same person made this adapter

19. FatJoe

FatJoe New Member

City, State:
      So-Cal
      i know supercharged cars.. i had a 660hp 03 cobra with no snow kit infact everyone i have ever know with a supercharged mustang has never had the snow kit....ohh i didnt read that you werent running a intercooler my bad....but i would still prefer a custom dyno tune over the snow kit any day..your from so-cal right?? you should check out swanson performance in torrance or R E T in downey...both shops really know how to tune mustangs
      :thumbsup:

20. wpurple

wpurple Well-Known Member

City, State:
      CT
      97 Explorer 12 Escape
      Your boost numbers might be a little lower than expected due to the TMH and free flowing exhaust.

On my Powerdyne with a 9# pulley, I lost about 3-4# of boost when I installed the TMH (Bob provided me a little bigger TMH due to a blown application) and a cat back exhaust..

I say lower boost, the gauge is lower, but pushing alot more volume thru the motor.....

FWIW

21. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      The Terminator Cobras had a good intercooler on them. If a Roots or twin screw didn't come with an intercooler option it is a real pain to fab one. The vapor coolers are very effective. One of my Mustang buddies running a NOVI blower had a temperature logging setup on his car. It would regularly register air temps after the blower at below ambient. Having a water and/or alcohol injection kit allows more aggressive tuning similar to having an intercooler and improves reliability a good amount. Heck, many people will use them in conjunction with their intercoolers to further add a safety factor and run a more aggressive tune. The turbo Buick guys love these spray kits.

Another great benefit with the spray kit is it will keep your valves, combustion chamber and intake tract squeaky clean. It will scourer carbon deposits which keeps the C/R consistent and air flow optimized.

22. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
      I am running a 2.8 inch blower pulley with a stock 6" water pump pulley. This equals a 10700 blower rpm @ 5000 engine rpm. A M112 is efficient to 16000 to 18000 rpm. Therfore the blower is not spinning fast enough which is causing low boost. I am going to adjust my pulleys to get the blower rpm to 16000 and the boost should come up quite a bit. At this time I will reconnect the methanol injection system. I believe that methanol injection helps as it raises fuel octane to 116. I have friend with a 650 hp mustang running an Intercooled Kenne Bell Blower @ 24 lbs of boost and its sick and he swears by the Snow Performance Kit and he would not make that much power without it. It definetely controlled detonation when I went from 6 lbs to 10 lbs on my old M90. I definetely continue to use it if necessary.

23. FatJoe

FatJoe New Member

City, State:
      So-Cal
      thats sick bro....does your friend run the snow kit with 93 octane? or the snow kit with race gas?? on my cobra i had a flip switch with 2 tunes a street which made 560 on 91 and the race that made 660 on 110....i think a custom dyno tune would be great for your car plus the snow kit now that would awsome :thumbsup:

24. Pitt7542

Pitt7542 New Member

1999 xlt uQ
      Hi there why don't you put a air to air intercooler on it from Forced induction technologies they make an adapter for the super chargers and your temp issues at high boost will be helped

25. mrboostman

mrboostman New Member

City, State:
      Pismo Beach, CA
      2000 XLT
      My buddy is making the 650 to the tires on lousy CA 91 octane with Snow Spray. That's what i'm saying it's a decent product. Of course he's got a built motor. I will be running 16 lbs of boost and will be making around 450 to the tires and will definetely reconnect my system if I get detonation.

I did not know someone made an intercooler for an eaton M112 but I will look into it.

26. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
      Northern VA
      2002 Explorer XLT
      Go ahead and connect it. Unless you run race gas, at 16 psi and no intercooler, you will get detonation. ;) That is unless you have a super low compression ratio.

Here is another tidbit of info I learned from my blower days. High octane gas makes less power than lower octane gas. The additives that prevent precombustion also slow the burn rate. This in turn reduces power output from the engine. The net effect justifies the use of high octane gas but all things being equal, lower octane gas makes more horsepower. This could be another reason why spraying straight water makes more horsepower than alcohol or a mixture of both.