Eco Boost vs V6 for towing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Eco Boost vs V6 for towing

Towing Limited versus Sport

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with the trailer tow package. Love the vehicle with one exception. It is weak when it comes to towing power. Let me explain. I have a 7' wide x 12' long x 7' tall all aluminum enclosed motorcycle trailer. The trailer weighs in at 1350 pounds. The two bikes I put in it weigh a combined total of about 1500 pounds. So I am pulling just under 3,000 pounds.

When pulling the trailer around at speeds under 60 miles an hour on relatively flat roads the vehicle tows just fine. When I try to pull the trailer at 70 miles an hour on flat roads or up grades the vehicle is constantly up shifting and down shifting.

It's time for a new vehicle and I am trying to figure out whether or not a 2014/2015 Explorer Sport with the Ecoboost V6 engine would perform better. Meaning could I pull my trailer at 70 miles per hour without the constant shifting problem.

If you have towed with a late model Ford Explorer Sport I would be very much interested in hearing how the Sport has performed for you when you use it to tow a trailer. I am especially interested if you have experience trailer towing with both a Limited and a Sport.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though this is not the Explorer Sport, this is the F-150 towing with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine. You will notice a big difference in acceleration because of the low end torque provided by the Ecoboost. The only thing holding the Explorer back is that it can't tow high weight loads because of the structure of the unibody but in terms of towing and pulling, the Explorer Sport should handle fine.

Also, the 3.5L turbo is equivalent to V8s in terms of towing capability. The youtube person who did this also did a review with other trucks with V8s so you can probably watch that to compare the capabilities.

Edit: At 11:15, he explains why it accelerates really well.

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited with the trailer tow package. Love the vehicle with one exception. It is weak when it comes to towing power. Let me explain. I have a 7' wide x 12' long x 7' tall all aluminum enclosed motorcycle trailer. The trailer weighs in at 1350 pounds. The two bikes I put in it weigh a combined total of about 1500 pounds. So I am pulling just under 3,000 pounds.

When pulling the trailer around at speeds under 60 miles an hour on relatively flat roads the vehicle tows just fine. When I try to pull the trailer at 70 miles an hour on flat roads or up grades the vehicle is constantly up shifting and down shifting.

It's time for a new vehicle and I am trying to figure out whether or not a 2014/2015 Explorer Sport with the Ecoboost V6 engine would perform better. Meaning could I pull my trailer at 70 miles per hour without the constant shifting problem.

If you have towed with a late model Ford Explorer Sport I would be very much interested in hearing how the Sport has performed for you when you use it to tow a trailer. I am especially interested if you have experience trailer towing with both a Limited and a Sport.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Dude I got you covered.

I recently got an new 14 Explorer Sport for my towing needs. I came from a grand Cherokee with a 6cyl that struggled at times. I too have a motorcycle trailer though it is 6x12x7. I do not have trailer brakes on this one either though I do on the 8x14x8 I occassionly tow.

The Sport has no issues whatsoever getting up to 70 and is not shifting any differently then normal. Between the trailer, my 2 track bikes, and my race gear I have around 3500 pounds that I am towing. The Explorer does move a little more in wind then my Grand Cherokee did or it is just that I feel that way with the anti sway kicking in. I am not really sure.

Great towing vehicle overall. You will not be disappointed unless you are hoping for MPG... I was getting around 12MPG while towing which is not bad considering the weight and the fact I was chugging at 70. Really only a loss of around 7MPG from normal for me...

Braking in the Sport is ok. I got a bit better feel from the Grand Cherokee but it stops as needed and in same distance as GC. I just had better feel in the Jeep. I will know what it acts like with the larger trailer with the brakes next weekend as I go down for the first weekend (and first outing since my nasty wreck last year on the track)

I want an enclosed 7x14 TA trailer and they are rated at 7000 GWV, I would like to be able to load it up and go but can't. .

You don't have to max out the trailer. A 7x14 will have to be a dual axle and thus you can pack a great deal in there. (In this instance the axles would hold up to 7K). That does not mean you need to carry that much.

I tow an 8 x14 at times with 2 bikes back there as it gives more room while at the track to sleep in or carry a few more set of tires and the tire changing device. It could carry well over the towing capacity of the Explorer but no need to take that much for me. It is a couple hundred pounds more in the trailer and couple more in extra gear. Max out around 4500 pounds.

And if we need to take more we take my friends FX4.

My Sport looks better cruising down the streets though.

You don't have to max out the trailer. A 7x14 will have to be a dual axle and thus you can pack a great deal in there. (In this instance the axles would hold up to 7K). That does not mean you need to carry that much.

I tow an 8 x14 at times with 2 bikes back there as it gives more room while at the track to sleep in or carry a few more set of tires and the tire changing device. It could carry well over the towing capacity of the Explorer but no need to take that much for me. It is a couple hundred pounds more in the trailer and couple more in extra gear. Max out around 4500 pounds.

And if we need to take more we take my friends FX4.

My Sport looks better cruising down the streets though.

I know and usually wouldn't carry around that much. But I am the type that if it is there, I will use it. I would be tempted to load it up and see how close I could get to the max weight. :) :)

I usually only have an extra ton of stuff when we go camping for a week and am still looking for an enclosed trailer. If I find a good deal on one, I will get it.

Towing a metal open trailer with a riding mower this weekend with my '13 Sport, I was suprised at the mileage.
With cruise control on and tranny in manual 6th gear... I was getting about 13MPG at 65 MPH
At 55 MPH, that jumped to about 17MPG
Speed has always killed my mileage and it's even more evident with a trailer.

Unless you are a lawyer and know the law in all states, I'll take that as your opinion.

Is it smart? No. Definitely beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.

Would I do it on a short haul, infrequent basis, maybe. Definitely not often or over long distances.

I know this is revived from the dead however...

As a Class A Commercial Drivers License holder I state unequivocally that it does matter and is in fact illegal. As a commercial driver if my vehicle is stopped and is 1 POUND over the stated GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of the vehicle I'm driving and or trailer I'm pulling I will be cited and the company I work for will be cited/fined.

This isn't something to **** about, sell the trailer or Explorer and get something appropriate for the job at hand. While I'm on rant I'll comment how you OFTEN see Johnny Camper on the side of the highway with his trailer/camper/whatever on a jack changing out a tire because of improper maintenance, overloading etc. A lot of people think since their vehicle has a hitch they can hook on to anything and drive away.

If you're not prepared for the rigors of regularly towing something with your vehicle you should seriously think twice, think about your family and the family behind you on the road.

I've got a 2003 Explorer V8 with tow package I'll sell you cheap. You can pull with it, cruise with yours...

I know this is revived from the dead however...

As a Class A Commercial Drivers License holder I state unequivocally that it does matter and is in fact illegal. As a commercial driver if my vehicle is stopped and is 1 POUND over the stated GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of the vehicle I'm driving and or trailer I'm pulling I will be cited and the company I work for will be cited/fined.

This isn't something to **** about, sell the trailer or Explorer and get something appropriate for the job at hand. While I'm on rant I'll comment how you OFTEN see Johnny Camper on the side of the highway with his trailer/camper/whatever on a jack changing out a tire because of improper maintenance, overloading etc. A lot of people think since their vehicle has a hitch they can hook on to anything and drive away.

If you're not prepared for the rigors of regularly towing something with your vehicle you should seriously think twice, think about your family and the family behind you on the road.

Rules are written by lawyers not engineers. You can also be cited for driving 1 mph over the speed limit but I have never known someone cited for such a minor deviation.

kinetic energy of a rig is 1/2MV^2 Mass is linear while velocity is squared and of much greater concern.

most people driving 60 mph will not be cited for doing 66 mph which is 10% over the speed limit and again that value is nonlinear

A 10% increase in gcwr would not be as significant as a 10% increase in velocity as mass has a linear effect.

I am not recommending people drive to fast or drive over loaded vehicles, but let's keep some perspective as the sky will fall if you are 1 or 2% over gvwr either. Many individuals do not know what they are towing any way - they should though.

Some people...seriously unbelievable! This is a perfect example of an accident waiting to happen that could have been avoided. Do you wanna be the guy that killed someone's child in traffic accident because you knowingly towed over your manufacturer's limit?! It's a f*cking LIMIT not a suggestion!!

As a Class A Commercial Drivers License holder I state unequivocally that it does matter and is in fact illegal. As a commercial driver if my vehicle is stopped and is 1 POUND over the stated GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of the vehicle I'm driving and or trailer I'm pulling I will be cited and the company I work for will be cited/fined. .
You guys are talking CDL, which I will agree have lots of fines, penalties, rules, etc.

Do those same laws apply to non-commercial - that is for a lawyer to interpret.

IS IT SMART? I think I answered that one. No, it is not.

Some people...seriously unbelievable! This is a perfect example of an accident waiting to happen that could have been avoided. Do you wanna be the guy that killed someone's child in traffic accident because you knowingly towed over your manufacturer's limit?! It's a f*cking LIMIT not a suggestion!!

Which is worse

61.2 mph in a 60 mph zone or 2% over weight?

Max weight limit on 6% grade or 2% over weight on flat land in Florida?
------

Why is the weight limit always 5000 or 10,000 and not 5237 or 10,453 lbs? Do you think the engineering numbers are always perfectly round numbers OR is there some normal estimated variation in there?

I think all tow ratings are usually rated several hundred pounds below what the vehicle is actually capable of to account for the people who do tend to push things a little...

Good argument to the insurance company looking for any excuse to legally get out of paying $$$$$$$$$ should you be in an accident.

Does the 2014 Sport with the Ecoboost tow better than the XLT with the V6? I have trouble getting out of fourth gear on the highway with my XLT.

The only answer to your question is "YES" or "ABSOLUTELY". More HP and TQ available at lower rpms.

What you tow is always, ANOTHER ISSUE!

The only answer to your question is "YES" or "ABSOLUTELY". More HP and TQ available at lower rpms.

What you tow is always, ANOTHER ISSUE!

Yes

But the torque should be comparable from a standing start on a hill and the structure is the same so I would expect them to be rated the same. awd will help on a standing start on a hill also

Once at speed the turbo should help, but starting should be a significant factor defining how they are rated for towing

Yes

But the torque should be comparable from a standing start on a hill and the structure is the same so I would expect them to be rated the same. awd will help on a standing start on a hill also

Once at speed the turbo should help, but starting should be a significant factor defining how they are rated for towing

Except that there are two turbos with them set up to give immediate torque while starting and another to spool up later in the rpm range. Having towed with both there is no comparison. The Sport launches off the line with the load and easily maintains speed and such in higher speeds as well.

The regular engine is underpowered in terms of torque and the ability to hold speed without being in lower gears and constantly shifting.

Except that there are two turbos with them set up to give immediate torque while starting and another to spool up later in the rpm range. Having towed with both there is no comparison. The Sport launches off the line with the load and easily maintains speed and such in higher speeds as well.

The regular engine is underpowered in terms of torque and the ability to hold speed without being in lower gears and constantly shifting.

typically turbos do not really kick in until above 2000 rpm. I do agree with you the added power above 2000 rpm is a benefit.

But standing start on a hill there will be no benefit. One factor why both are rated for the same 5000 lb of towing

typically turbos do not really kick in until above 2000 rpm. I do agree with you the added power above 2000 rpm is a benefit.

But standing start on a hill there will be no benefit. One factor why both are rated for the same 5000 lb of towing

rating is more in line with the overall ability of the engine and the frame.

Perhaps no difference for first second as your foot goes to the gas but there is an immense difference within a half second. Not to mention that the tow mode also resets the system to help hold better torque for those starts and it is MUCH more noticeable in the sport.

Back