• Register Today It's free!

edge lowering control arms

lo xploder

Reaction score
City, State
hernando,ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a good question...Id like to know myself.

nope they are differnt the ranger edge is 4x2 and the 4x2 newer style rangers after 98 are coil sprung in the front

The ranger edge has torsion bar front suspension-for sure.If you look for a lift/lowering kit for a ranger they all say "EXCEPT EDGE"......

ok did some searching... the edge has torsion bars like the 4x4s..... however the regular 4x2 rangers have coils

I will call AIM tomorrow a see what the deal is....

I don't know why it says edge only on there, ford did not design different suspension between the different appearance packages. 4wd rangers have torsion bars just like explorers and 2wd rangers have coil springs. Those control arms are for 2wd rangers and will not work on any explorer.

Believe it or not, the 2wd Ranger Edge had torsion bars. I have no idea why.... but its true. I have heard that its the exact same setup as the 2nd gen Explorer, but honestly have no idea. I do know that it is a torsion bar setup on the 2wd though. Ford does weird/stupid crap like that sometimes. :p

Yes its true.They even have an ranger edge website.If you go on there forums sevral people talk about lowering their edges by adjusting the torsion bars.Im going to contact AIM today and see whats what.Ill keep yall posted.

Im gonna tell you now..... dont get your hopes up with getting any info out of AIM-

1- Their customer support sucks. Id be surprised if anyone there even knows they sell control arms. No joke.

2- While the kit was developed for a Ranger Edge.... i highly doubt they thought about trying it out on an Explorer.

Probably the only way to find out is to buy a kit and try it. If it works, then it works. If it doesnt, then sell it on ebay or one of the Ranger forums and try to get some of your money back out of it. If it does in fact work, this will revolutionize the 2nd gen Explorer world. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I did alot of research today!I looked up the moog catalog today and the ranger edge and explorer have the same part # controlarms!!!!!Im going to try them!The aim guy says the lowers will lower it 3 inches.the uppers are to correct camber..

ok the deal is the upper arms don't come with ball joints. so i dont know if a explorer joint can be pressed in??? or if we could use ranger joints??? i believe the difference is the outer diameter is slightly larger on the x joints. so there is ur problem that is if the arms even work.

also ask aim if that price is for each arm upper/lower or a pair of uppers or a pair of lowers. that is the catch. at 299 each that would be crazy!!

The stock explorer upper arms have the balljoints made to them,so they cant be removed.Today I looked up the part #s for upper arms for both the explorer and ranger edge,and by the moog listing they are the same.So this tells me the edge stuff is got to work.I gotta save my $ and try them for myself.

The ranger "non-edge" upper balljoint fits fine on the explorer spindle. You forget, i had the AIM uppers on mine for a while. ;)

The stock explorer upper arms have the balljoints made to them,so they cant be removed.

EXACTLY. a dude on the ranger edge forums called aim and they said the uppers did NOT come with ball joints. they told him to cut his old ones out of his arms??

The ranger "non-edge" upper balljoint fits fine on the explorer spindle.
Yeah but we are talking about the "EDGE" joint here, is there a difference?

If the edge joint is the same as the explorer, then it too is built into the upper arms. Either way, the regular ranger joint will work on either.

Why cant someone just make some spindles for these things!I geuss a man can dream right?The thing I liked about the aim uppers is that they are adjustable.

what kind of camber can the uppers correct up to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JAMES T: You forget, i had the AIM uppers on mine for a while.
u had aim uppers, they make uppers for explorers?, or did u have ranger uppers? did they work?

AND did anyone ever call aim to see what the deal with these damn edge arms is???

Back