• Register Today It's free!

EEC4 program/Bama chips

Foggman

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 2dr Sport
As you can see from my SIG, I have a 94 OHV (EEC4). I was looking in to getting a programmer/chip (whatever you want to call it). So I emailed Doug at Bama chips and asked him what would be the best type of programmer for my application, and what kind he could make for me. he replied with this...

"Unfortunatly I can't do a whole lot with the EEC4 Ranger's if anything at all. You can't adjust any of the transmission functions on these, or atleast the ones I've done. You can pick up some power from the better spark and fuel curves but only when using 93. Using 87 you could still see some gains but it may be limited. Most of the EEC4 tuning I've done has been for very performance orenited customers with aftermarket cams, ported heads, nitrous and so on.

The BIG problem on the ECC4 Explorer's and Ranger's is the lack of support for the PCM calibration codes. I have done about 20 over the last few months. Most of the codes I have or had to send the PCM's to SCT for them to download but if I have to request the code then it can take a while for SCT to request it from Ford and for them to get it in. The last calibration code request I did took two months, I've put in for another here recently and I'm still waiting.

EEC4 is like comparing Windows 3.1 to Window's 2000, yes it can be used and work well but the new operating system is much better. They can be upgraded and used, heck I've got one guy making 284rwhp and 450rwtq from a OHV 4.0 in a 93' Ranger, but it's the wait that can kill ya.

Sorry, Doug. "

he goes on in a second email with this...

"It wasn't until EEC5, 95 and up, that you could reflash the PCM's and then I can make a true power difference on 87. "

Just thought I would pass along this food for thought to all of you that are thinking about having a chip/program made for you.

EEC-IV computers are very basic. Most of the time they had PROMs that had to be removed and then replaced to "update" the computer. Chips and Tuners are turn of the century when EEC-IV is the tail end of technology really. Obviously you can't mix the too. Sorry you can't do anything for the ranger. You should swap in a 5.0L that has EEC-V....you'll be good to go then.

-Drew

I have the power/torque curves from Hypertech for the 4.0 engine..... with and without enhancements. Candidly, the difference was not much. Even for later than 95. Now on the 4.6 and 5.0, different story. Of course this was Hypertech and not BamaChips.

Me ? On a 4.0? I'd do a few other things before I worried about rechipping it. My 2 cents.

Back