Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

EF a little too soft?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box - Forum Feedback' started by mounty71, July 27, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 Mountaineer
      In my opinion this is getting a little ridiculous. I've been on here for several years now and I know that it is a family-oriented site that tries to offer help to everyone no matter how much or how little they already know. But is censoring every little thing the way to do it, as if we are elementary kids?

In the past week or so, I've responded in two threads that I can think of, which the OPs didn't even need to start in the first place, and I was trying to let them know. Ya, maybe I said it with the slightest bit of attitude, but I was just trying to point out what should be obvious. In one instance someone decided to start a new thread to show off their explorer, because they felt it was necessary to start a new thread instead of just bumping their old one that had the same content. Unnecessary? Ya, I thought so too. In another instance, someone asked a question in an existing thread, then immediately started three identical threads in different forums asking the same question, all while his original question had already been answered. Again, unnecessary? Yes, I thought so too. In these instances I commented to let them know that what they were doing was unnecessary, and they should maybe take some time to consider their options before just starting a redundant thread (or 3).

I know the saying "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" should apply to this, and I agree to an extent. But if we can't self-police each other and teach newbs a simple lesson about how to operate a forum, then how will they learn? It's pretty obvious that the forum rules that new members read don't seem to stick in people's minds. Do the mods enjoy answering the same questions about torsion twists and tire sizes over and over and over and over?

Another forum that I frequent allows a certain amount of freedom for people to say what they want, how they want, even if it is harsh or a little offensive. I'm not at all saying EF should completely change. But the result is that people over there quickly learn acceptable forum etiquette and there are far fewer redundant threads being posted.

I'm not expecting anything to change here, and I probably won't get anyone agreeing with me, and that's fine. This is more of a rant than a call for action anyway.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Blee1099

Blee1099 Evil Asian EF Vendor Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elkridge, MD
    4. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      ^Not quite sure what that means.

Edit: by the way, I meant to say that my posts (and the threads as well) were deleted. That was my actual point, that an innocent post was deleted because it was apparently too harsh for the site.

Last edited: July 27, 2011
    5. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Our reputation has always been that of a friendly site. Being harsh may be your style, but it's not mine.

I have nearly 40 moderators here helping me with the self policing. If you want to help, use the "report post" button to bring a moderator or my attention to a specific issue. Our moderators do a great job of catching most things quickly, however, we are only human and some things slip by.

Want to help newbs help themselves? Point them to the FAQ and Rules page, or our search page. If you're really feeling helpful, do a search for them and then tell them the search terms you used to find the answer. Not everyone understands what is needed to make a successful search.

I don't think we need to be harder, we need to be smarter.

6. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      1998 Ford Explorer
      I'll take part of the blame - I just havent been online as frequently as I used to. BUT (!!) if I was, I would've googled these newb's addresses, visited their houses, pulled their finger nails with a pair of pliers, threw the newbs all into their fridge, and welded the fridge shut.

7. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      That's more like it.

But seriously, I'm not talking down on any of the mods at all. This site is probably the best-run site I'm a part of and I'm glad I found it. I just felt like giving some feedback in the Forum Feedback section. Like I said, I don't expect the mods to suddenly change their ways. Maybe I'm just making a bigger deal out of nothing for no reason. You can delete this if you feel it's as useless as the threads I alluded to were. Sorry for offending you guys.

8. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      No offense taken. I was just telling my side is all.

9. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Some people lurk on this site for years without posting because they are afraid to get picked apart. A lot of times I get a PM with a technical question from people with no posts who signed up years ago. They just don't feel comfortable asking questions on an open forum.

10. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      And in all honesty- the search is good, but it doesn't always work. Right now there is a new member looking for a 2nd gen. Asked what to look for. Now, I know that I could type all of it in, but I also know that an awesome list has been posted before, multiple times. The search kicks out the terms: what, to, look, for, and looking all as too common or too short.

I even searched with 'list' and my name since I know I replied as 'that's a great list' or something like that. Still couldn't find them, so I gave up because I have laundry to do.

I still stand behind the "it's a discussion forum, not a library' theory. But, I always love the "has anyone ever..." posts. Yes, we have. Hundreds of times. :) But, people don't know that. We do a stellar job of putting up with and helping new members especially compared to other forums.

I had to post this on the Toyota forum, and then took a 6 month vacation. It's ridiculous how some people are treated over there. 'njerald' is the a$$ over there, 80% of his posts are "SEARCH" (always in caps, remarks about owners manuals, or some other smarta$$ remark. I think he's now been banned or died, he hasn't been on in 6 months.

This exchange all related to his posting "hint, TSB----------SEARCH"

11. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      Just an FYI - If you enter "what to look for" in the Google search box using the quotation marks around the phrase, it will look for that phrase and not for the individual words. I just tried it and it brought up the thread you were after on the first page. I believe that also works in the sites own search engine.

12. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      See? I've been here for 5 years and still don't know how to search... IZ is right... :D

I never use the google one, I'll have to start...

13. snoranger

snoranger Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Jackson, NJ
      94 limited on 35's
      Theres a google search bar?... I never even noticed it.
      I just saw that there is an Ebay search also. Learn something new everyday.

14. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    15. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      That's the only one I use, I feel it does a pretty decent job of searching.

Regarding the forum, Rick and Mods, you guys do a great job. If it was like a lot of other forums I probably wouldn't be here. I don't enjoy watching people have internet fights(ok maybe sometimes, it can be funny). Everyone is usually friendly and willing to help. That's the way it should be.

16. LONO100

LONO100 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bay Area CA
      03 sport trac XLT
      i really enjoy this forum the way it is. in my everyday life i would considered someone with a dirty mouth. i curse like a sailor when im working or with my friends, but there are certain times and places when i know that can just get annoying. i also like that people on this forum are very supportive and helpful instead of clowning someone about something they said or asked that seemed like common sense or common knowledge. have you ever played ps3 or xbox online? many people think because they are behind a computer screen its a free pass to let the vulgarity insue.

i know what you mean in how the forum can be a little soft, but i find it refreshing. try going to the f150 forum, or the isuzu forum and its either they talk like they are in a high school locker room or they dont want to help or dont have the answer youre looking for. of all the sites i visit, the ef is by far my favorite. so i guess what im trying to say is i totally get what mounty is saying, but i would rather the forum be a little soft than a little too hard.

17. rocket 5979

rocket 5979 Resident Gearhead

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6

It's been covered already....use the search button. :D

18. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
      Searching is for noobs.

What is the cheapest and best lift I can get for my Explorer?

19. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      A Jeep!

20. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6
      What are the biggest tires I can fit on my Explorer?

21. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newcastle Wa
      White 94 Limited
      Callsign:
      KG7PKQ
      Round ones! DON'T buy the ones that are flat on one side, they ride like crap.

22. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    23. rocket 5979

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6

Dood!!! I asked about the size not shape! Now I have to use the mysterious search function that people keep talking about.

24. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newcastle Wa
      White 94 Limited
      Callsign:
      KG7PKQ
      See, if you don't use the search, you get responses for something you weren't asking about. :p:

Or, I could just say;

There are a millions threads asking the same f*****g question!;) but that would be too harsh :rolleyes:

25. Rick

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      I've always thought Fred's car was poorly engineered. The front axle will stay in place while driving forward, but the rear axle would slide right out of the notched log! I think the Flintstone car would be a great candidate for a full width SAS :D

Could someone please point me to their Flintstonemobile SAS thread???

26. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      Don't you mean solid wheel thread?:D