• Register Today It's free!

EGR Code, 2000 Explorer 5.0

haas_chris

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited AWD
A couple weeks ago I replaced my passenger side Exhaust Manifold. Along with it I replaced the EGR tube and the EGR valve. After about 30 or so miles I got a check engine light. No rough running or "noises" just a light. I pulled the code with Forscan and it came back for EGR If I am not mistaken it was code P0401. I reset the code hoping it was just a "fluke", but it came back last night. I have not looked into the issue more than just a quick google search and some searching on here. It seems as though most mention replacing the EGR or the gasket. Since I just replaced mine is there another item I should be looking for? I am planning on checking the vacuum lines this evening, but was wondering if there is something else you gurus might have experienced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at the dpfe hoses real well. I know this is a bit of a hassle, but make sure both of them are connected well, and are not blown out near the connections, or split. It takes a careful examination to make sure they are air tight. also check to see if the DPFE fittings are bad, or the dpfe has blown out. Most likely though one of the hoses has popped off . Good luck.

Usually cleaning the EGR really well does the trick

Look at the dpfe hoses real well. I know this is a bit of a hassle, but make sure both of them are connected well, and are not blown out near the connections, or split. It takes a careful examination to make sure they are air tight. also check to see if the DPFE fittings are bad, or the dpfe has blown out. Most likely though one of the hoses has popped off . Good luck.
I will have to take a real close look as you mentioned. A quick look this afternoon and everything appears to be tight and sealed, this was after driving for a little so it was too hot to reach all the way in there. I will definitely look at it more closely (hopefully this weekend).

Back