Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

EGR Solenoid and Shuddering Problem

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by vonsy, December 7, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. vonsy

vonsy New Member

City, State:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2003 Ford Explorer
    My '03 Ford Explorer v6 has been shuddering a lot for the past year. It will rev up and down when idle, even stall out occasionally. It has gotten progressively worse so I took it in to a mechanic. They told me to change the Mass Air Flow Sensor and spark plugs. I did so and it worked great.. for a little while. The problem seems to be intermittent because the car will run great for a while, but after extended use it will begin shuddering again.

I got the codes read again and they all point to some sort of vacuum leak. (bank 1 lean, bank 2 rich, bank 2 rich/lean, misfire in 3 cylinders) I checked all the vacuum lines and as far as I could tell they all worked correctly, except one. The green vacuum line to the EGR was very weak with the car running. It would seemingly putter. When I took it off and plugged the nipple on the EGR itself, the car ran pretty smoothly. There is no suction coming from the EGR Solenoid and there is suction on the red vacuum line leading into the EGR Solenoid. I believe the problem is within it, but I don't know if whether or not the green vacuum line is supposed to have suction or not. Could you help me out?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!