EGR Tube Tick is Gone!

intelisevil

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
Vehicle - 1999 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

I thought I had the infamous EGR tube tick. It looked like there was a small rust through near the spot where the smaller tube is welded on.

I bought a new EGR tube last Summer. I bought a 27mm crows foot wrench after I had the part in hand. I've sprayed PB Blaster around the connections a few times in the last year in preparation.

I finally got around to working on it this last weekend. (This is my daily driver with other more important needs and the tick wasn't THAT annoying . . . ) The rust spot was gone!?! When I looked at it closer (magnifying glass and a good light source) the "rust spot" was just some extra slag from the welding process.

For some reason I decided to remove the old part anyways. When I put the wrench on the lower connection to loosen it I found it was already loose. Kind of odd for a connection I expected to be 'welded' tight due to the heat from the exhaust manifold. I changed my mind and tightened it up. It took just over 1.5 rotations to reseat.

My last three days driving to and from work . . . No Tick!

The moral of the story is: If you think you have the "EGR tube tick" get your hands on a 27mm crows foot wrench and tighten that sucker down BEFORE you buy a new EGR tube. The tool cost about 1/3 what the EGR tube cost me.

YMMV,

Thanks. This means I now have to check my fitting even though I'm not having any tick issues...lol!

Back