EGR Tubes Cause Hole In Intake Manifold | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR Tubes Cause Hole In Intake Manifold

RomeLaw

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2WD
First let me say I love my 1998 Explorer. It's really not an overstatement, so please dont think I'm being an idiot by asking this, but I'm compelled to.

I pulled off an EGR Sensor that looks like hot air just ripped to to shreds. Like an idiot I just let the hoses lay however in the engine, meaning to replace them shortly. I've come to now realize that they blow a hole in my intake manifold. Now after replacing the EGR Sensor and the MAF Sensor, I'm realizing this hole was the problem (previously I realized that the truck wouldnt stall out if I unplugged the MAF Sensor). Anyway, I'm wondering whether I need to replace the entire manifold or can I use something to plug that hole? A mechanic friend said that's the source of my problem and that air is getting in through that hole.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure its not the tube itself?

No it's not the tubing itself.

I've read in other forums where someone's used JB Weld to plug a hole in a Manifold. Stating that where the Manifold has not become brittle itself, thus prone to further breakdown, JB Weld can effectively plug a hole. Any thoughts?

JB weld would work until it cracks and sucks into the motor and bends a valve. You can get an intake manifold cheap at a junkyard or I am selling one in this thread
SOHC for sale thread

cat converters are plugged up and cause this concern.

Back