Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Electric Power Steering

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by dkalleck, September 10, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dkalleck

dkalleck New Member

City, State:
    Beaverton, OR
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 Sport
    I'm trying to find more ways to reduce the stress on my engine and help improve fuel efficiency.
    I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to replace the stock power steering pump with an electric system. Has anyone tried this yet?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Carguy3J

Carguy3J Well-Known Member

City, State:
    North East New Jersey
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
    Possible? Sure. There are, and have been for a while, some cars that use an electric p/s pump stock.
    The question is, is it worth the time, effort, and EXPENSE of making it work on a vehicle not equipped? Almost certainly not. Yes, the p/s pump is a parasitic drag on the motor, but whatever minimal gains you might get from eliminating that would surely be offset by the added weight of an electric motor, battery(ies), wiring, extra fluid, since I imagine it would need to some sort of remote mount,etc....

Now, I was thinking, what about an electric centrifigal supercharger? I mean a real one, not the cage fan crap on ebay. Given the recent grassroots advancement in electric motors/batteries/elctronics; you might be able to design a system that produces a substantial net power gain. If you've already gone to all this trouble with the supercharger as the primary motivation, then it might be worth while to just "piggyback" the p/s pump, and maybe the a/c compressor as well.