Electrical, alternator no output? Wiring? searched threads no lights windows etc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical, alternator no output? Wiring? searched threads no lights windows etc

pubenemy

Reaction score
City, State
North Port, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mouintaneer
Bare with me this will be a long post. I searched extensively and tried most everything I could find. This is on a 97 mountaineer awd 5.0 - It sat for a year bacause transmission went dead. I finally got a used trans. installed. Put in a new battery and after 1.5 hour drive the abs light came on, seat belt light, various lights on dash came on, voltage gauge dropped, tachometer stopped, speedometer stopped and finally vehicle died. My wife was driving it to me to start using for work as I work 2 hours away from home and stay here during week. I drove the 30 miles to where she stopped. Ran jumper cables and charged battery for awhile and jumped mountaineer. Drove the 30 miles to hotel, same symptoms happened as I made it into hotel parking lot. Windows were working at this point.

So now.
Windows don't work, interior lights dont work. Headlights do. Battery reads 12.5v and stays there over night after i charge it. Terminal with nut on alternator reads 12.5 also with vehicle off or running. Alternator has two wires going to it, one reads 12.5v also, other reads like 1.4v or so. Checked all fuses with multimeter. Checked voltage drain it is not draining more than the small amount it should. Now normally if I read 12v at battery with it on or off I'd just say its the alternator and replace it, but the odds things like windows and lights not working and the many problems Ive read about on the forum has me wondering. Tonight I hope to get it to an autostore to check the whole system. In the mean time anyone have any ideas or thoughts? The megafuse or whatever is fine checked with multimeter. Grounds seem fine via mm too. Am I just overthinking this and its prolly the alternator? I really hope so as a 120 mile tow to house will be expensive! The windows and lights not working and odd behavior of gauges and gauge lights has me wondering. When I turn key to on position with mounty not running the batt light, check engine light, check gauges light comes on. What would cause the windows and lights not to work when it has plenty of voltage via jumper cables?

Thanks to any that read and reply!
-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it turns out to be the alternator, which I doubt it's just the alternator may be alternator and some other problem due to the issues with windows and interior lights. What would you recommend for replacement alternator? I see advance auto has several, refurb and new couple of each. Advance, autozone, napa, and any certain manuf? I will go new rather than refurb due to amount of issues Ive read with refurbs.
Thanks again.

Voltage at battery should be close to 14 volts when engine is running. Sounds like your alternator is bad. One of the large chains should be able to test your charging system to confirm this. Low voltage when the engine is running could cause the symptoms you're having.

Even with 14Volts at the terminals of the mountaineer via jumper cables. Same voltage can be read at alternator post with nut, the windows, interior lights, air/heat controls etc dont work. That is what is making me worry. I wasn't able to make it to advance auto before they closed today. Going tomorrow. I hope the alternator is only problem but somehow I doubt it..
Thanks!

Advance auto wasn't a whole lot of help. Said alternator isn't putting out more than 12.5v, but that is what battery is charged too. Said no codes showed up either. So I guess Im gonna swap alternator and prey it fixes the other issues. Still welcome any other ideas.
Thanks
Mike

alternator will charge at near 14v when running anything below 13v is no good

Alternator is swapped. Used a $50 off coupon at advance auto on a new one. Now Im getting good 14V, paperwork with alternator said it peaked at like 149A, and voltage regulator set to 14.6. So my alternator was dead. I still had the issues with the windows, lights, a/c/fan/heat still not working. Replaced some fuses even tho with the DMM they read good voltage and continuuity. Now I think everything works. Crazy... But I'm very happy and thanks for all that responded. Advance auto is going to know me by name soon every time I order I save at least $35 ordering online with in store pickup!

Back