Electrical fan convertion

mad_4u

Reaction score
City, State
Jeddah
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2006
Hello All,

i was searching for the best way to convert my V8 2006 Ford explorer Fan Clutch to electrical fan and i did my conversion once but i went back due to issue with the push in sensor.

the other day i sow Mustang V8, 2008 with the same engine we have but the different are the Radiator and Electrical fan.

did any one try swapping the setup from Mustang to Explorer ?

i have the Electrical fan diagram for ford mustang and i guess this could be converted to the Explorer and run as factory setup.

your view and advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• Electrical fan.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 223

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Following

I would bet any money that the computer will throw a fit when you remove the pcm controlled clutch fan but i wonder if forscan could turn that off since the mustang used electric fans... definitely interested if you get this to work

Hello All,

i was searching for the best way to convert my V8 2006 Ford explorer Fan Clutch to electrical fan and i did my conversion once but i went back due to issue with the push in sensor.

the other day i sow Mustang V8, 2008 with the same engine we have but the different are the Radiator and Electrical fan.

did any one try swapping the setup from Mustang to Explorer ?

i have the Electrical fan diagram for ford mustang and i guess this could be converted to the Explorer and run as factory setup.

your view and advice is appreciated.

For the electrical side of things, the computer sends voltage to the fan clutch when extra cooling is needed. When you install electric fans, you will no longer need the fan clutch. You will reroute the wires that went to the fan clutch, to a relay that will supply power to the the electric fan. I would recommend using a universal fan kit that has 1 big fan. Mainly because the mustang's pcm has an integrated controller to control the 2 speeds. The Explorer's pcm only controls the 1 fan clutch, so your fan will only have 1 speed. Install your electric fan, find an appropriate relay for the fan you're using, either a 4 or 5 pin, I would use a 4 pin. Find a good spot to place your relay, (some have a tab on them to mount via a bolt), secure the relay, the relay should have a small wiring diagram on them, similar to the ones in the diagram you've posted. The relay may have different pin numbers on them, so we'll use pin numbers in your diagram as an example, Looks like the pin numbers are 85, 86, 30, 87. Pins 85 & 86, you will route wire extension coming from your fan clutch harness, cut the harness off, leave about 2 inches of wire from the harness incase you convert back later. If you know how to soldier, then soldier the wire extensions on, don't forget the heat shrink before soldiering. If you don't know how to soldier, then find the appropriate gauge weather proof butt connectors (yes they are called butt connectors) O'Reilly Auto Parts has a great selection, make sure they have heat shrink on them. Connect your wires, run the wires (that previously went to your fan clutch) to pins 85 & 86 of your relay, it doesn't matter which way you hook up the wires in this step, as the relay will work either way. Now for the wires that will power your electric fan. Use a red power wire, this will be a thicker wire, grab a small spool of it, you can always use it in the future for other projects. Find a way to attach the wire to the Positive terminal of the battery, route the wire from the battery to Pin 87 of the relay. Attach the same gauge wire to Pin 30 of the relay, and run it to the positive wire going to the electric fan, use a plug-in-play style connector for this. The other wire from the fan you attach to a clean ground (any metal surface with a bolt, preferably one that has no pant on it), or just run it back to the negative pigtail from the battery. (pigtail is a small black wire bolted to the body near the battery that goes into the main negative cable, follow the negative battery cable until you find it.) If you wired the fan up backwards, it will spin backwards, just simply switch the wires. (common sense, but still, the fan should be blowing air towards your engine.)

For connecting the wires to the relay, use the proper size pin (tab) connectors. Also buy a good pair of wire strippers / crimpers if you don't have a set already.

Any questions let me know.

Just 2 little things I’d like to add to the excellent instructions in the previous post: I try to avoid making additional connections to the battery positive terminal bolt, only because they are susceptible to being damaged when changing batteries or performing service requiring battery to be disconnected. If you look between the battery and the under hood fuse box you should see a small black plastic cover. Under this cover will be a electrical post which will provide battery positive. Also, I would recommend you start your power feed with an approximately 20-25 amp fuse just in case your wire running to the relay ever gets pinched.

im really curious if this would work and not cause a CEL because the OBDII reports an actual fan RPM... if it was a simple turn on/off type circuit then why is it important for the system to know the fan speed which is pretty much infinitely variable when I watch it with my phone.... and fuse for the wire size and length dont just start at a 20-25 amp fuse good rule is to start with a 10 if you dont have a wire size chart handy

Most electric fans can be hooked up to an electric fan controller unit that addresses all of the issues. Dakota digital makes good ones, available on summit racing. I am definitely considering this conversion as well, and will probably do it once I figure out what type of fan will fit best.

Back