• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Gremlins

cerckert

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
I have a 93 limited explorer and for some reason my car has a small leak on the driverside cargo area. I can't seem to find the source. So far it has caused my horn to short out and killed my battery by attivating my auto locks so they keep on locking over and over again. It only happens when it rains really hard. Does anyone have any experience with this. I really don't want to take it to a dealer or a PEP Boys so they can chage me for looking at it and telling me they don't know.

Cargo area. Not sure why it would mess with the locks and horn, but both sides of mine leaked and got worse over time (while raining of course)... Could never find it until I was driving in rain and happened to look back... The window seals for the side cargo area windows were leaking bad (driver's side worse). Check those, mine were at the top and front areas of the seals... As for the electrical stuff, I dunno...

edit - Maybe other windows are leaking?

Not sure about the early Explorers, but on the 95 and up there are some relays which are located in the LH rear above the LH rear wheelwell. One of them is for power door locks, I believe.

If you are getting water on/in the relay box, this would explain your gremlins. They are residing in the relay box ;)

There are relays back there, but I don't remember/know what they are for.. cerckert, maybe this is your electrical problem?

Back