Electrical systems failing (No dash lights, 4x4, radio display, OD off and counting) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical systems failing (No dash lights, 4x4, radio display, OD off and counting)

Budwich - My switch does exactly what you are describing. The light on the headlight switch is illuminated when the lights are not on. It goes out the minute you turn the headlights on. Is that significant?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... does it have importance?... hmmm not sure... but it helps eliminate any guessing in terms of conditions of operation during certain events. I back track a bit because of your earlier statements about 4wd not working then saying that it works but not the light.... so additional info, in this case, is helpful in clarifying conditions.

Anyways, the diagrams attached don't quite show everything BECAUSE you have an eddie bauer which has AUTOLAMPS. I think that potentially is where your trouble lies. IF my 96 drawings are "close", then autolamps module feeds a ground to a "gang" of relays including the park lamp relay, dimmer relay, and headlight relay. Thus, you need to check pin 2 (W/P) on your autolamps module for ground... I think. I don't have this feature on my vehicle.

Actually, forget my previous post.... most be low on sugar... :)
not really... auto lamps do play a role but your illumination should work without them operating. I was looking a bit closer at my 96 diagrams. Last question, do your exterior park lights come on? And one further question, what fuses have you check (with a meter)????

My exterior parking lamps do come on. When I turn on the headlights/parking lamps the interior lights will flash on for a second then go out. When they go out, the parking lamps get brighter.

For the fuses, I actually replaced all of the fuses with new ones, since the previous owner had put in a bunch of fuses that were the wrong rating. I haven't checked any of the fuse ports with a meter, though.

My exterior parking lamps do come on. When I turn on the headlights/parking lamps the interior lights will flash on for a second then go out. When they go out, the parking lamps get brighter.

For the fuses, I actually replaced all of the fuses with new ones, since the previous owner had put in a bunch of fuses that were the wrong rating. I haven't checked any of the fuse ports with a meter, though.

Lets check G100, seems lots of your accessories(and the dimmer) are grounded here (B-8 area, hard to read but has an arrow). The dimmer is the gateway to all the interior lights, a bad ground would wreak havoc.

It is in this diagram:

You are there!!!!! Great.... I suspect that he didn't lose that main ground BUT has a broken BK wire running to the dimmer module preventing it from operating correctly. I suspect either running a new ground or looking for a break and fixing will solve the problem.
I base this on the fact that his light switch lights when his lights aren't on.... the bulb in the switch eventually runs to the same G100... hence the dimmer has a broken wire as opposed to lost G100.

OK, I finally got a chance to put some more work in on this. Here's what I was able to do:
1. Tested Dimmer relay - OK
2. Tested Parking Lamp relay - OK
3. Tested Headlight switch connection for Ground - OK
4. Tested Dimmer switch connection for Ground - OK
5. Replaced Headlight switch with new
6. Replaced Dimmer switch with new
7. Rechecked all fuses - OK

From what I can tell from the diagrams posted, there doesn't seem to be a lot left to check. Instrument cluster, Accessory switches, climate control, and radio buttons all do as before: When you turn on the headlights they all light up for a second and go out. Parking lamps get noticeably brighter when the other lights go out. Also, noticed message center flashes when the lights go out (like it is momentarily getting power from the same source as the instrument cluster lights and then switching to a different power source when the first circuit goes bad).

What is the GEM module? Could it be causing this? Can it fail so that some things work and others don't?

small question... how did you check for the ground at the listed components???

Using a test light, I connected one end to the ground wire (black) and the other to the "hot" wires and the light lit up. I also did the same thing with my meter with the dial turned to the Ground symbol and got a tone which I assumed indicated the presence of ground.

Using a test light, I connected one end to the ground wire (black) and the other to the "hot" wires and the light lit up. I also did the same thing with my meter with the dial turned to the Ground symbol and got a tone which I assumed indicated the presence of ground.
Can you get a reading in OHMS on this ground connection?

I am sorry that this is taking so long to resolve but it tough sometimes to get to the bottom as "observations" aren't always communicated "legibly" or sometimes not at all. So if I back track, its basically me just trying to get a handle on the problem from a different direction. Having said that.... how about trying this or describing what happens in this scenario.... when your autolamps comes on (with your headlight dash switch left at off), what happens to your the light on your headlight switch? In terms of testing with a light... it really doesn't tell you a lot ... kind of "binary" although if you are an "expert", you sometimes can "read the light" for certain conditions... poor grounds, "soft voltage", etc. Anyways, the problem is solvable... it just may still take a bit... :)

Finally... your observations about the lights going on a bit, then "dimming" may indicate a "soft short" or "poor ground". I don't think this is a GEM issue... it get blamed a lot but my experience and posts thereabout usually indicate that the GEM is a "good kid".

This is just an odd suggestion, but try disconnecting the auto lamp mirror. I had a weird situation when I added auto lamp to mine where I did not have it grounded properly. When I stared the truck and turned on auto lamp, instead of turning on my headlights, it caused several strange things with dash lights and my 4X4 started blinking and would no longer engage. After I corrected the ground wire, problem was resolved.

As far as the radio display problem, isn't this a common occurence, especially on '98 and up models? Mine is a '97 and I have not had this issue. My biggest "issue" is the indicator bulbs for my switches (including cruise control switches) all going out one by one, and the dash bulbs burning out, which I have now replaced them all.

Just an idea.

Well I finally got a chance to get back to this after traveling for the Christmas. We went back to MN to visit family, and boy I wish I had my Explorer! It snowed the whole time we were there.

Budwich - I checked on your question (when your autolamps comes on (with your headlight dash switch left at off), what happens to your the light on your headlight switch?).

The light on the headlight switch goes off when the autolamps come on.

Thanks for all your help.

that's good... i guess... that means that they operate (or fail) the same way as using the headlight switch. basically, I think you have a problem between your park lamp relay and the dimmer module. The output of the park lamp relay feeds a few things... the park lights and the dimmer which then passes its stuff to the dash and others. Basically, your observation about the park lights getting brighter when the "interiors" go out, appears to indicate that the "interior circuit" is broken and hence the voltage only has to drive the park lights, hence they brighten. Of course, $64 question is why. You need to confirm the voltage out from your dimmer module on pin 5 (R/BK)... i know you did this, but try again with your test light.... your test light should dim. ... and then verify with a meter... NOTE: this is NOT 12v dc. After that verify pin 3 (T/O) with your light and meter... (light should be bright, this IS 12 v dc).

Instrument Cluster Lights Out!

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum and need help figuring out how to get the instrument cluster in my '97 EXT to light up again. All of the guages are out but "idiot lights" still work (i.e. seat belt, check guage, check engine, etc.). Radio lights work as well, but no AC lights. The dimmer will still dim my radio lights and will still illuminate my dome lights when fully engaged. Head lights work fine (although for a while, they did not work and I had to use my highbeams to drive at night. They just started working again). I've followed the instructions on some of the posts here and I've taken my instrument cluster out, replaced all the bulbs, and still no cluster lights working. I also replaced my headlight switch, and still no cluster lights working. This happened to me once before, and after switching out all of my cluster bulbs (although they didn't all need to be replaced) the cluster illuminated for about 2 months before going out again. Didn't work this time. Need help!!! As you can imagine, this is extremely discouraging and frustrating, especially trying to drive at night! I love my truck, but hate that I can't get the cluster panel to illuminate. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You need to look at the "slug" of R/BK wires in and around the instrument cluster.... two of interest go to the panel (for illuminations), others go elsewhere. Check for voltage on these. similar, a R/BK goes to illuminating your AC (eatc module I assume). Your problem may be / probably is a bad splice where all the R/BK's come together not far from the back of the cluster.

Thank You!

Budwich,

I will definitely give that a look. Thank you.

So, here's another twist to my dash lights saga. I got a letter from Ford about a safety recall (Cruise Control Fire Hazard). Apparently my 99 was never fixed under this recall. I took it to a dealership to have the recall work done, and was going to have them take a look at the dash lights issue as long as I was there. However, when I got to the dealership, everything started working! The dash lights came on, the interior switches lit up, even the radio display worked.

Since it wouldn't exhibit the problem for the dealer technician, I just had them fix the recall issue. Of course, the next time I started it up after getting it back, nothing worked again. Does this instance shed any light on the issue?

Back