Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Elessar65's Money Pit

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by Elessar65, January 2, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Elessar65

Elessar65 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Wichita, Ks
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Sport
    Well, since its been a year since I updated this, a lot has been going on with the rig, and none of it good, lol. The transmission finally took a shit big time about a month ago. So I am pulling it out to rebuild it, and possibly the transfer case as well, or swap to a 1354 manual if I can find one.

So far I have had to cut the exhaust to get it out, since not even my bad-ass Snap-On impact could budge the bolts. Although I suspect its cause they were so rusted that I could only hammer on them for about 30 seconds before they stopped being hex head bolts and became completely round. I got it all welded back together, but I am going to have to either find new (to me) manifolds, or grind off the bolts to the flange and either drill and tap, or just drill and use a washer and nut on the other side.

Also, I have been seriously contemplating cutting off whats left of my rusted to hell rocker panels where they hang down from the rest of the body and doing a half ass boat side kind of thing, or more likely getting some sliders up under there. Was thinking about cutting the fenders too, idk. I don't plan on going any bigger than 33s though, but once you get going with the sawzall......

Anyways, break time is over, I have the transfer case out, time to get going on the trans...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.