Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Emergency help

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Jeremy91, July 18, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Jeremy91

Jeremy91 New Member

City, State:
      King George
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Ford Explorer XLS
      My daughters birthday is tomorrow she's turning 3 unfortunately my truck died tonight on the way home. I just got a new battery and alternator. The alternator was bad draining my battery so new both and they were functioning just fine. Tonight unexpectedly my battery light came on and the car died and wouldn't turn over. I'd rather not spend her birthday troubleshooting if anyone can give me their best ideas of what could be the issue it would be greatly appreciated. 2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4.0 SOHC

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SMSgt09

SMSgt09 Member

City, State:
      Cedar City
      2009 Adrenalin 4.6
      If you just got a new battery, it should be under warranty? Do any codes come up? Is there anyone locally who can help you out, jump start or whatever? Can you get it to an AutoZone or some such place in your local? Sorry I can't do anymore for you. If you lived in Cedar City I could be of more help. Good luck and hope your daughter has a happy birthday tomorrow.

4. Jeremy91

Jeremy91 New Member

City, State:
      King George
      2000 Ford Explorer XLS
      It is I'm just trying to think if anything could be draining the battery at a rapid rate. And thank you.

5. projekt-apex

projekt-apex New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, Fl
      2000 explorer xls
      Is it possible that something other than a bad alternator caused the original issue that led to replacement of the battery and alternator? I would also have the new alternator tested as I have seen a new alternator fail right out of the box on several occasions. I’m sure at this point you’ve already done this but check/clean all visible grounds/connections especially in areas where wires may rub or contact other parts as this can lead to shorts/loose connections. Anything possibly contacting the terminal posts when the hood is closed? Just trying to throw everything I can think of at ya. How long has it been since the new battery went in, will it drain while parked and shut off or only while the engine is running? If it has been several days or weeks since the new parts I would lean towards a weak alternator. Have the alternator and battery tested at place of purchase, if one or both are bad they should replace them under warranty. If the vehicle is running they should also be able to do a system test that can help determine if it is some kind of parasitic drain outside of the alternator itself.

6. fastpakr

fastpakr Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Roanoke, VA
      99 3.0 4wd Ext Auto
      A volt meter will allow you to measure amp draw. Turn the truck off, disconnect the negative cable, and measure amperage from the cable end to the negative post on the battery.

• Like Like x 1
    7. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      check alternator fuse

8. lobo411

lobo411 Active Member

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
      The original post doesn't have enough info, imo. He should explain:

1. How he established that the alternator was bad in the first place, and

2. How much time passed after he replaced the alt + battery before the battery died again.