Emission part won't reset, No codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emission part won't reset, No codes

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
I have an 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4WD. It was a repo and I got the vehicle for under $900. The one who had it was rough as hell on it apparently, so I am having to work on it. I went to have it inspected and they said it was showing not ready. I hooked up the two scanners to it to see what I could find and it is all emission related.

There are no codes and the CEL is not and has not been on since I got it. The scanner showed 3 different things showing (which I will elaborate on in the post). I drove it 100 miles one day to try to reset it and it did no good. I hooked up my scanner and reset the DTCs. This time it showed 4 items. I again drove it for another 100 miles and it still did not reset.

I am including the pictures and a video (if it will let me) of the scanners screens. One I can tell you what the red ones are for. This is the first scanner:

CAT= Catalyst Monitor
HTR= Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitor
EVA= EVAP System Monitor
O2S= Oxygen Sensor Monitor

UPDATE: The EVAP system monitor reset itself and is showing green again. The rest are still showing red.

The second scanner which I have video of shows no codes for the vehicle. It does show this:
Fuel SYS1
OL, not ready CL (I know OL means Open Loop and that CL means Closed Loop. Other than that I don't know anything else)
When you crank the vehicle it shows this:
OLCL, using HO2S

Go to the link below to see the live data. Maybe there is something I am missing on it that someone else can see.

Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this problem and of a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me on this.

Resized_20180520_213601.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173312(2).jpeg

Resized_20180520_173331(1).jpeg

Resized_20180520_173338(1).jpeg

Resized_20180520_173357(1).jpeg

Resized_20180520_173417(1).jpeg

Resized_20180520_213454(1).jpeg

Resized_20180520_173525.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173549.jpeg

View attachment 159175

Resized_20180520_173650.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173659.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173705(1).jpeg

Resized_20180520_173705.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173832.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173839.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173846.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173900.jpeg

Resized_20180520_173941.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, over 100 views and no one has a freaking clue. Really?! There has to be someone who has had this to happen and fixed it.

I don't know a lot about the Sport Trac's as I have an older Explorer, but with out having actual codes to fall back on, it's kind of hard to give a solution for appears to be a non-specific problem. Your information on the video looks to all be where it needs to be. Fuel trims look ok, O2 sensor readings look ok. What specific emission part was replaced that won't reset the system now? You didn't mention it. When you went to get it inspected, what did they say was the cause for it "not being ready?" How does the engine run? Strong? No issues/hiccups?

I'm not sure if you're still having this issue, but I would start with a disconnect of the battery for 10 minutes or so. Then go thru a start/drive process at least three times. On my old Ex, a lot of times the CEL won't reset unless I've gone thru a start/drive process at least 3 times (just my process). And the drives usually need to be 5 miles or more. It gives the computer plenty of time to re-learn things and reset parameters. But the start and stop part of it us crucial.

Also, you said in one of your posts that you're trying to sell the vehicle, so I understand your need for some relatively quick info. But condemning other "volunteers" on this site for NOT supplying information to you isn't a great way to get others to help. I myself am only on here a couple times a week for short periods as I have a job and a family that take up most of my time. But I'll try to help as much as I can.

All of the ones on red are the ones that won't reset. Haven't replaced any parts on the emissions end of it. It just gives a not ready reading on those 4 things, no codes whatsoever. The mechanic didn't even know what was causing it to not reset. Just told me to drive it to the Ford requirements and it should reset. Did that twice and still didn't reset it. This I had to get a waiver on the emissions to pass inspection. Have driven it a lot since then and still gives the not ready status. The ones that show not ready are listed in my post. Sorry if it seemed like condemning other users but several months on here and over 100 views and no one has an idea. They basically want to talk about jacking them up and putting big tires on them.

I'm not familiar with a scanner/code reader that gives those types of symbols for things w/o having actual codes to fall back on (ie: red icons that means something is "not ready"). To me, if there is no code, then everything is working fine. Maybe it's me that doesn't understand it. Your 2nd scanner didn't show any codes either, correct?

Anyway, if there are no actual codes, then I'm not sure what else to tell you to try and help out. Wish I could help you with this situation more.
Sorry...

I have the same problem on my 05 sport trac...i have 2 not ready..cat and evap..ive driven it several hundred miles..gave up and parked it..been sitting for months..i did the usual start..stop.
traffic...55..65...idle...etc..nothing..let us know

I have the same problem on my 05 sport trac...i have 2 not ready..cat and evap..ive driven it several hundred miles..gave up and parked it..been sitting for months..i did the usual start..stop.
traffic...55..65...idle...etc..nothing..let us know

Those are two of them that are showing on mine. The other is the O2 sensor monitor and the O2 sensor heater monitor are the other two. My county is supposed to be doing away with the emissions part of inspection so I am not worried about it if they do do away with that part.

That's what im waiting for..im here in Chattanooga Tennessee and they are suppose to stop emmisions also

My take is if the red light not on it will be the 100 miles or 20 key starts.

Ive drove my truck 2000 plus miles with no engine light on but readiness monitors not set..ive done idle for 5 minutes..cruise the streets..maintain 55 mph..3/4 tank..etc..nothing...

Ive drove my truck 2000 plus miles with no engine light on but readiness monitors not set..ive done idle for 5 minutes..cruise the streets..maintain 55 mph..3/4 tank..etc..nothing...
Did you figure it out because I'm going through the same I've put over 5,000 miles and no change

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-084036_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-084036_Torque.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 99

Did you find your isue ,i hav av2005 ex and on the current drive cycle most of the monitors are not available so they will never complete .lost does anyone know how to fix ,im thinking PCM is bad but car runs really smooth

Back