Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Emissions Monitors - Time and Drive to allow all to be OK

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by maruefer, July 22, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. maruefer

maruefer New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Have a 2003 Ford Explorer, 97797 miles on it. Been sitting for six months with battery disconnected. Need to get new plates, Nevada residence. Problem is, the battery being disconnected reset all of the modules needed to pass Emissions. i read the Ford way to get these back to being OK but the Catalyst, O2 sensors and Evap are still in the incomplete world.
    Drove vehicle around town (Las Vegas), freeway and stop and go, about an hours worth and 40 miles. Does anyone know the magic number or miles or time needed for these to be all good to pass a smog?
    There are no engine codes and only problem this car has had with anything regarding engine, the water thermostat housing cracked and was replaced in 2016. Car passed smog last year then wife got a new Explorer and we have not drove it 500 miles since then and parked for the last months.
    Start right up, no problems with anything except the door ajar switch.

Any help or suggestions?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    They say 50 miles or "key turns." But it's really about drive cycles and having all the monitors hit.
    My wifes '05 has the gas gauge issue which triggers a check engine light. I drove all of 24 miles, probably 3-5 highway (getting up to 70 mph) and the rest in town getting to highway and back to smog station. Passed with flying colors.

Check engine light came on due to gas gauge as I was leaving the smog stations parking lot.