• Register Today It's free!

Aerostar96

Reaction score
City, State
Bothell, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Aerostar
Hey everyone,

I got a code P1443 a week ago, so I got a new canister purge solenoid (google BWD CP509 to see the part I got). After searching this forum, I was finally able to locate the existing valve below the air filter housing. I replaced the valve, but the vacuum tubes connecting to it were disintegrating.

I have now replaced the tube from the solenoid to the carbon canister, and from the solenoid to the canister purge valve (I hadn't realized they were different, looks similar to Motorcraft CX1158), but the canister purge valve had a vacuum tube elbow attached to it just hanging out in space, not connected to anything. I don't know if something got detached when I was pulling the tubes or what, but I don't see any loose tubes in the area. There is an opening on the other side of the carbon canister that seems to fit the tube, but that would seem to create a loop (canister to solenoid to valve to canister). I thought the other end of the valve went to the thermistor (wherever that is) and then to the throttle body, but again I don't see any loose tubes.

If anyone has input on what the purge valve should connect to and where to find that, I would really appreciate it. I need to pass emissions soon to get my new tabs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0L engine. I've been looking at the diagram under the hood, but it hasn't helped me much. It says Throttle Body to Thermistor to EVAP Purge Valve to Canister to Tank. It doesn't show a solenoid.

If what I suspect is correct, there are 4 tubes appearing to connect to the canister, but only two of them actually feed into it. The other two, one of which is connected to the solenoid, don't actually connect to the canister but go from the solenoid directly to the intake manifold or throttle body. I would like confirmation though before I create a bigger problem than I'm trying to solve.

This 1996 Aerostar vacuum diagram was in my Ford software.

Attachments

• 1996 Aerostar vacuum diagram..JPG
    1996 Aerostar vacuum diagram..JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,345

I went through fixing this same issue with my '97 3.0 liter engine a couple years ago. The routing was kinda strange. Unfortunately everything is buried under and I can't easily get to it to look at the routing.
The picture Brooklyn Bay posted is the same as what is in my '96 electrical/vacuum trouble shooting manual. Except mine doesn't show the speed control.

The actual emissions vacuum tube routing should be on a sticker under the hood somewhere.

Scott

Back