End of the Sport Trac and Mountaineer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

End of the Sport Trac and Mountaineer

The Cologne V6, especially the 4.0L OHV, is one of, if not the THE most durable motor Ford has made.

I'd have to give the most durable Ford engine hat to the I-6. As a matter of fact I wish they offered them in Explorers then and still made it period now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The auto market is changing rapidly

The mountaineer was long over due for a redesign or some variation from the Explorer other than headlights and small trim. The mountaineer have been twins for so long now, it's hard to see one without the other. Also the SUV market is declining as we can all tell. Ford especially is rapidly changing, it's better for the company as a whole I guess. SUV's are too costly and thus a gamble in todays market. With a recession in progress consumers want a more fuel efficient car that is small and quick, not a bread loaf with beefy tires. Look at the foreign car companies, especially japan. Small fuel efficient cars were once looked at as nerdy and puny, compared to the muscle cars and large town cars through the 70's - 90's which were followed up by the SUV craze. But, there was still a market for them, and now that market has exploded. American car companies have lost their edge unfortunately and it is all too common in the news. I have faith in detroit to bring back americans love for cars, and beautiful styling like the days of old. As for the SUV era, I think it is time to start saying goodbye, new "SUVs" will just be crossovers put on a larger car frame.

As for the dropping of the Mercury brand, I agree and disagree. We are correct in saying mercury line up is of small variation to that of Ford's. But, Mercury brings together Ford and Lincoln. They are for the sophisticates who don't want to buy a Ford, but cannot afford 8,000 more for a Lincoln. I believe if Ford kept a few designs for Mercury, to itself much like what foreign car companies do, the brand name would be back where it was years ago. Ford also needs to decide whether it's worth continuing the name if they are only going to continue what they have done in the past, which is slap a new badge and name on their upper level vehicles.

The sport-trac to me though is a loss of a great vehicle. While it is still technically an SUV it allows the functionality of a truck, it is great for the suburban dad, or small time handyman, people who don't use trucks as their everyday work force. Especially with the new design Ford produced in 2006 I saw the sport trac as a thing beauty and versatility. Ford should keep this vehicle so it can compete with the Honda Ridgeline and future SUT's until they to are taken off the lineup. But, Ford faces tough times and must make cuts. And I guess it's time to say goodbye.

With the loss of the sport trac in 2010 and the ranger in 2011, I am anxious to see what Ford will do to fill their small truck lineup. Ford is long overdue to fill their 4 door small pickup line. With rangers being uber-popular in other countries, Ford has given them the option of 4 doors with turbo diesel engines. I always scratched my head wondering why this was. Americans would go crazy of a 4 door turbo diesel ranger, it would regain it's sales as number one small pickup too. I can only hope they still have an optional 4x4 package. The T-6 looks like a good start, and im betting that is not the body they will use for the the actual vehicle.

Vehicles come and go with the times though, who knows Ford might whip up another awesome design..for us to gawk over...I think Ford is heading in the right direction though. I wouldn't want to see Ford follow the same path as GM. It is wise of them to drop some vehicles and cut cost to put research into new clean, low emission, fuel efficient, vehicles. Ford is simply getting with the times, slow to the punch, but as we all know Ford can pack quite a punch, just look at what they did with the Explorer between 1990 - 2004, 2004 in my eye the start of the gas crisis. I will always bleed Ford blue, whether or not they produce to the small percentage of truck owners.

That being said, maybe this small market (us explorerforum, ranger station, etc.) will explode one day, only time will tell....

Sorry for the rhetoric...I am in a writing mood

Man I was looking forward to someday upgrading my Sport Trac to a new one. I don't want or need a 4dr pickup and a 4dr sized Ranger is to small.

I like the sport trac, if I didnt need the third row I would have gone for one. I really dont know why more people are buying explorers when the mountaineer is cheaper and the exact same thing.

It's always been irritating to watch the rest of the world get cool cars and awesome trucks while the companies just complain they wouldn't be able to market and sell the same thing in the US, even though people were clamoring for it. I have no doubt once the car companies start bringing over the cool stuff, auto sales will boom once again, this time replacing the big trucks and SUVs with ghastly crossovers that get car mileage, and irritatingly trendy looking compacts.

Sadly, that is true to an extent, but the cost to bring them over is large also. Crash ratings, emissions regulations, all sorts of changes need to be made to make a car useable in the US market. Thankfully, all American car makers are now building platforms that will switch over much easier to the US market now, and overseas vehicles can move across the pond much easier now. If they can't recoup the money they would spend to bring a car over here, why bring it over?

Ford tried that recently BTW- with the Mondeo. It was marketed here as the Contour. People didn't bust down the doors for them. While it was tagged as a "world car" the only external items the Mondeo shared with the Contour were the windshield, front windows, front mirrors and door handles. Even the interior was slightly different. Not cost effective at all.

Another problem is, in Europe sizing is out of whack. What we consider small (Contour) they consider large (Mondeo) so the marketing and development is totally out of whack. You can't put stuff into a "large" car in Europe and sell it at a price point and then run the same car in the US as a budget vehicle. It's not an easy game- you lose a lot of money.

The original Focus was the first true "world car" from Ford. And that one has been a decent success. The new Fiesta will sell well I think, it's a nice looking subcompact, and I think when gas goes up to what they pay in Europe, a lot of subcompacts will be sold vs. larger cars like the Explorer.

I really don't care what anyone else says, I'd put Ford quality against Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Mazda anytime, anywhere. They're that good. Do they have problem cars? Sure. But Toyota hides problems too.

"First, engine sludge in the Camry. Then, rusty frame rails on the Tacoma. Advertising Age (of all people) reveals the latest problem to tarnish Toyota’s solid gold quality image: the Prius’ HID headlights. A number of owners of Toyota’s green machine weren’t well pleased happy their high intensity headlights died after a few years. No surprise there; replacing them runs up a $1000+ parts and labor bill. Owners claim HID death is a “a dangerous but undisclosed safety defect” and that Toyota has “long been aware of Prius’ HID headlight problem” and is “concealing the problems from owners.”

So far the national Highway Traffic Safety Administration (el NHTSA) has received over 300 complaints about the headlights. When el NHTSA contacted Toyota about the issue, the automaker said they’d provide information on the headlights “by the end of the month.”

Meanwhile, an unnamed “company spokesman” told AdAge that Prius owners are responsible for repairs after the warranty has expired. So it doesn’t look like Toyota may be willing to do much to sooth owners’ ruffled feathers.

Looking forward, ToMoCo better be careful, though. As marketing expert Andy Fletcher pointed out, Prius owners are “sensitive people with a clear sense of right and wrong and their obligation to society.” With the new Prius whirring onto the streets, they’re “the wrong group to mess with, particularly now.”

They're not perfect. And those are just a few of the problems. Problem is, nobody wants to talk bad about ToMoCo. Every car is metal, plastic, nuts, and bolts- built by robots and human beings. Many of the components are built at the same supplier, using the same R&D, and the same inspection process. These cars are so close in quality now, it isn't funny. Is a '92 Accord 50% more reliable at 100k miles than a '92 Tempo? Maybe, probably. Is a '09 Accord or Camry 50% more reliable than an '09 Fusion at 100k? No. I'd bet you wouldn't even notice a difference.

As far as trucks go, the ST was a cool niche vehicle, probably one of the most succesful auto show idea driven releases on par with the PT Cruiser, although the ST held it's own for longer in the market because it was more useful. I think Ford will keep the Ranger, and figure out a way to put an EcoBoost in. The American buyer doesn't want a diesel, and it would cost a lot of money to modify one for the US market. If the new EcoBoost in the Taurus gets high 20's/30 mpg pushing around a bull, it would be even better pushing around a little Ranger...

Back