• Register Today It's free!

Engine bay cleanup

theSpoon

Reaction score
City, State
Plantsville, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
So I'm in the process of making my engine bay more pleasing to the eye and also easier to work on. I have a 1997 Sport 4.0SOHC. So far I've removed my a/c (haven't gotten the heaterbox back on yet) and done away with that intake cover. My future plans are to get rid of some of the large ugly reservoirs and replace them with some aftermarket maybe aluminum containers, swap the intake manifold with a newer 4.0sohc (just preference I don't really like the way mine juts out to the sides), I also plan to re-route a lot of wiring and tubing. One example would be my power steering reservoir, since I removed my a/c compressor its just sitting on the stock bracket with tubes dangling below it, I plan to shorten the tubes and/or modify the bracket.

I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has cleaned up their engine bay? what have you done to make it more presentable? also what can be removed or replaced under the hood with a smaller/cleaner looking unit? keep in mind I'm not afraid to rig anything up or fabricate money is just a little issue, hopefully by Thursday I'll have given fiber-glassing a shot (modifying my heaterbox) any advice on the whole engine bay thing would be nice I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to do something like this.

I'll try to post some pics up here, if my idea catches on I'd like to take pictures of everything that gets done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Late Mustang Manifold?

. . . I have a 1997 Sport 4.0SOHC. . . swap the intake manifold with a newer 4.0sohc (just preference I don't really like the way mine juts out to the sides) . . .

How new is the intake manifold you're considering. I've been wondering if the later (2005+) Mustang intake manifold has better performance than my 2000 upper and lower manifolds. Do you have the variable induction system (vacuum actuated intake runners)?

How new is the intake manifold you're considering. I've been wondering if the later (2005+) Mustang intake manifold has better performance than my 2000 upper and lower manifolds. Do you have the variable induction system (vacuum actuated intake runners)?

I was actually thinking of one closer to your year if I recall correctly. my manifold is one of the variable length ones, I think its actuated. If I can't find a suitable replacement I'm considering fabricating something up out of the old one. I don't know if the mustang one fits but I think I remember reading somewhere that physically on the engine it will fit but the throttle body is positioned differently? it might hit the fan shroud.

I dont think this is what you meant by cleaning up, but I know that Armor All Tire shine works great to degrease your engine and makes it look a lot more presentable, just cover some things up, spray it on, and rinse it down.

i got rid of the cruise control(never use it) and got a new overflow tank for the radiator and deleted the window washer fluid. looks a lot neater and clean.

i got rid of the cruise control(never use it) and got a new overflow tank for the radiator and deleted the window washer fluid. looks a lot neater and clean.

I'm considering deleting the cruise control but I sometimes use it, maybe i just need to move it somewhere else? I know someone sells aftermarket systems too that might be cleaner/smaller. I'd delete the washer fluid too but sometimes I use that, I'll probably go to the junkyard and look for a smaller washer box in from a different car or go aluminum.

I'll have some pictures up maybe later today of my current engine bay/heaterbox with some markup on them. Also I took a good look at the stock intake and I may have come up with some ideas to modify it, i'll do it in paint and see what the members of this forum have to say, it might be a bad idea because of the variable length thing

update on heaterbox

I got around to cutting it today, still not enough time to actually try fiberglassing, more pictures tomorrow.

here's a picture of where the heaterbox was, holes covered up with ducttape temporarily

Moments before cutting the box

After the sawzall had its way with my heaterbox

I tapered the end off for spark plug clearance. I measured the plug end of the wire to firewall at 5 inches and with my heater box being cut, when its done and reinstalled it will stick out only 3 inches, with 2 inches of space to get the plugs out

Clever idea!

A clever idea to improve access to the #3 plug! I'll be anxious to see the results and hear about how much easier it is to change the plug. Based on your comments, I may consider something similar since I plan to keep my Sport for a very long time. I guess you eliminated the A/C since I don't see the A/C drier in your photo that I have in front of my heater box.

I also noticed that you pulled the air tube to valve cover PCV inlet hose and installed a breather on the valve cover. Using a breather will slightly lean your mixture during throttle change since you have unmetered (not thru the MAF sensor) air being burned in your engine. It adds a little throttle response lag. At constant throttle in closed loop the O2 sensor outputs will allow the PCM to compensate for the unmetered air.

...Using a breather will slightly lean your mixture during throttle change since you have unmetered (not thru the MAF sensor) air being burned in your engine. It adds a little throttle response lag. At constant throttle in closed loop the O2 sensor outputs will allow the PCM to compensate for the unmetered air...

That may explain the engine codes I sometimes see "P0174 system to lean bank 2" and my throttle response is actually pretty good (probably because of ac delete). until I get an oil air separator I'm leaving the breather because the throttle body always gets so dirty, I was also wondering what would happen if I attached it back to the intake after the throttle body?

flow direction

. . . until I get an oil air separator I'm leaving the breather because the throttle body always gets so dirty, I was also wondering what would happen if I attached it back to the intake after the throttle body?

The PCV flow is from the main intake tube, thru the hose to the right valve cover port, thru the crankcase, up thru the PCV valve at the rear of the engine, and then splits into two hoses that enter each upper intake manifold section. The only time the flow is from the valve cover toward the main intake tube is when the PCV valve is blocked. See this link for more info on the PCV valve. SOHC PCV Valve Mod thru 2000

The crud that builds up on your throttle body also occurs on the MAF Sensor, the main intake tube and the upper intake inlet. It's not from the crankcase. It's just residue from the air entering the engine. If you decide to add an oil trap it should be between the PCV valve and the two upper intake manifold ports. Check your PCV valve to see if there is an accumulation of oil on the inside top. I was thinking about installing a trap but there is very little room back there and it would have to be located between the top of the PCV valve and the split to the two intake manifold ports. When I checked my PCV valve that hadn't ever been replaced and it still worked fine I decided a trap wasn't needed.

.. If you decide to add an oil trap it should be between the PCV valve and the two upper intake manifold ports. Check your PCV valve to see if there is an accumulation of oil on the inside top...

that's definitely good to know, I was under the wrong impression with that one.
-----
Well I got around to fiberglassing over the hole i cut in my heaterbox, didn't come out as good as I hoped but i guess its not that bad considering its my first time fiberglassing anything, I'm gona work on it a bit more before I post pictures of it. I'm going to try squeezing some fiberglass on the inside seam before bolting everything back up.

I really want to remove/simplify as much as I can under here but I don't know what I can safely remove/replace without throwing codes or reducing performance.

are you plannin on replacing all the coolant, brake, gas lines w/ new shiny colorful ones? because if i was doing a project like this that's what i would do

are you plannin on replacing all the coolant, brake, gas lines w/ new shiny colorful ones? because if i was doing a project like this that's what i would do

that is on my list but there are other things I'd like to do first

The fiberglass patch is painted and the whole thing bolted up. there was a small leak near the bottom, but I ran out of materials. I'm gona stick a ball of fiberglass material in the hole. Pictures coming soon its too late right now, the third spark plug will never go unchanged again.

I saw a thread on changing the PCV valve and realized mines probably never been changed, so I'm going to do that some time tomorrow. Also with the condenser removed with the A/C I may route a cold air intake the area in front of the radiator.
I'm really liking this fiberglassing thing, I think it would have gone better if I could have used foam some how. I'm thinking about fiberglassing a new center console, mines all beat up and I'd like to shorten the compartment between the seats. Also I'm trying to come up with ideas to clean up the brake booster area.

ok sorry for the delay..

this is my first time fiberglassing anything so its a bit messy.
next time I fiberglass i'm going to remold a new center console from cdplayer down to between the seats

before paint

painted and bolted up

look at all that room!

alittle farther back

Back