1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Engine compression testing

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by ponkotsu, February 23, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Lincoln Aviator
    Bought a new compression tester today and tested my 4.6L Aviator. Pulled all the plugs out and had the wife crank the engine. I tested cylinders 1-4 and all maxed out between 160-170psi. That is good compression, but what I'm concerned about is the amount of time it took. I thought it would take 3 compression strokes to get full pressure. But mine took much longer. First stroke about 50-60psi, then 80, 100, 110, 120, something like that. Anyone have a similar experience? Seems like the engine is not building pressure like it should.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Albino 94LTD

Albino 94LTD Recovering from Moab 2016 Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Newcastle Wa
    White 94 Limited
    Callsign:
    KG7PKQ
    A better question might be, is it holding pressure once it is built up?

But I agree, I would think it should build pressure pretty quick, even with the added volume hose and gauge (unless you have a really long hose).

That was a dry test (no injectors shooting a fuel mixture into the cavity which will take up a minimal amount of volume but won't compress).

How fast does it build if you shoot a quick shot of WD40 in before hooking up the gauge?

4. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2005 Lincoln Aviator
    I dropped a little motor oil in the cylinder and it seemed to build up just a bit faster. I don't think I put enough in though, and the cylinders are angled so I doubt if it got onto most of the ring. It's a HF gage that I saw others use on youtube and the pressure went up real quick. I did have an issue with the intake being badly gummed up so it looks like ring blow by for sure. I'm considering doing a cylinder soak with something but that is a little risky.

5. colintrax

colintrax Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Georgia
    97 XLT
    Just curious you were holding the throttle wide open right?

6. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2005 Lincoln Aviator
    Yes