Engine Decarb/Fuel Injector Flush? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Decarb/Fuel Injector Flush?

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
So while I had my car at Santa Monica Ford(excellent service btw) for the toe link recall they had a advertisment for a fuel service. For $229 it includes a fuel injector flush, engine decarbonization, throttle body clean and a bottle of fuel treatment in your gas tank. Service advisor did not try to push it but when I asked him about it he said it flushes the fuel injectors at the rail and treats the engine as opposed to just putting in a bottle in your gas tank.
I see nothing in the manual from Ford recommending this.
Anybody have any thoughts on this? I have 40k miles with no problems. Wondering how they flush the fuel injectors and decarb the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So while I had my car at Santa Monica Ford(excellent service btw) for the toe link recall they had a advertisment for a fuel service. For $229 it includes a fuel injector flush, engine decarbonization, throttle body clean and a bottle of fuel treatment in your gas tank. Service advisor did not try to push it but when I asked him about it he said it flushes the fuel injectors at the rail and treats the engine as opposed to just putting in a bottle in your gas tank.
I see nothing in the manual from Ford recommending this.
Anybody have any thoughts on this? I have 40k miles with no problems. Wondering how they flush the fuel injectors and decarb the engine.
Wouldn't running a few tanks of E85 achieve the same thing?

I had 145,000 miles with zero engine issues. Dont waste your money. Didnt even change my plugs till 132,000.

Chevron with Techron and floor on on ramp from time to time to burn carbon.

E15 fuels scour the engine

Exactly what I figured, not really the best use of my $$$, good thing I didn't get it.
I'll go buy a can of Cheveron fuel cleaner and go on the freeway tomorrow.

Chevron with Techron and floor on on ramp from time to time to burn carbon.

E15 fuels scour the engine
Several top tier stations have identical additives although they may call the additive by a different name. Petro-Canada uses Tactrol with is the same thing.

Peter

Several top tier stations have identical additives although they may call the additive by a different name. Petro-Canada uses Tactrol with is the same thing.

Peter
Is there a large difference between gas in Ontario?

Seems to be quite a few posts debating the quality of fuel across states.

With the exception of Shell’s 91 octane fuel, which has no ethanol, everything else in Ontario has 10% the last I heard. I put in whatever is cheapest in my DD - logged over 500,000km across a couple of vehicles with no fuel system issues.

Re: fuel additives/cleaners - I wouldn’t waste your money. Huge dealer mark up on that crap and no benefit. Run your engine hard through a couple of gears from time to time and it will remove any loose carbon.

I don't really know but there must be some. There are MacEwen stations in my area and I've heard many complaints that customers are getting about 2 mpg less. I use Petro-Canada gas as I can get a 13 cent/L discount. I used Sunoco exclusively before it became a Petro-Canada station.

Peter

Back