1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

engine is surging at start up

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by davidbaggett, December 28, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. davidbaggett

davidbaggett New Member

City, State:
      Beaumont, Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '00 Ford Contour 2.5 V6
      Howdy, i am a newb here and wanted to ask a couple of questions about my explorer. At startup, the engine is surging up to about 2k RPM and then falling down past 500 RPM, and lately it does this a couple of times and then dies. i need to check the book and see when the fuel and air filters were replaced, but my only other guess is the IAC. I took it off around Thanksgiving and cleaned it and that temporarily got rid of the surging. Do i need i new IAC valve altogether? From what i've read the IAC is something that will just go out. also it's throwing codes 0133, 0171, and 0174. i looked them up, just not sure if it's related b/c the cel comes on and off periodically. sorry for the longish post. thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 01sportrac

01sportrac New Member

City, State:
      Lawrenceville, GA
      2001 Explorer Sport Trac
      David-my 01 Sportrac was doing the same thing...

I read extensively across this forum and came up with several potential things that would cause the 171 and 174 that I was getting. Turned out the problem was in a rubber elbow that was part of the PCV system. David you might want to check this first.

There are several of these elbows and apparently they get real hot and crack.

Good Luck

4. Eneurb

Eneurb Active Member

City, State:
      Ajax, Ontario, Canada
      1998 Limited
      Also check for contamination of the MAF sensor.

5. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      David, check and make sure the intake manifold bolts are tight and that there are no cracks in the air intake plenum between the MAS sensor (plug right after the air filter box) and the throttle body. Unmetered air may be getting in, causing the lean codes. This will also affect your idle.

6. Ira

Ira Active Member

City, State:
      Northeast Tennessee
      91 XLT 4x4
      Had a similar problem with my 91. Sometimes while driving, I would smell fuel but never find it's source. At the same time, my CEL came on shortly then off, back on a little while later, back off, etc. A couple days later, I was sitting at the drive-up window at the bank in park and just idling. Suddenly, the engine speeded up and then dropped and nearly stalled (surging). When I got home, I pulled the codes and it said Oxygen Sensor. I changed it, and a week later, same problem. I bought a diagnostic fuel pressure gauge but it checked out good. It never surged when gauge was applied. I ended up waiting until problem got bad enough, installing gauge, then letting engine idle for an hour until it finally started surging and pressure was found to be out of spec. To make a long story short, the problem was found to be a faulty fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes it would suddenly go up in pressure, stay there and then fall back to normal. Since my early model Exploder has no code for a fuel pressure regulator, the code is given as oxygen sensor because the increased fuel pressure (flooding engine) would basically kill the oxygen sensor because of it's rich condition. When I changed the FPR, the oxygen sensor cleaned itself up in a short time and the CEL went out.