Engine Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ShaunisDope

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Eddie Bauer
When i initially get in my truck i've notices a higher than normal idle along with the noise that comes from that. also while driving the engine feels as if its working harder making a deep humming noise with it that's very noticeable. I was talking to a friend and he suggested that i try and run a fuel injection system cleaner next time i fill up and see if that works. would you suggest anything?

The humming could be a fuel pump.... you should try to isolate it to see if the humming is in the back or in the front, sometimes an echo can throw you off.

If your engine is working harder than it has to try a tune up.... plugs, wires, (I have the motorcraft replacement parts from Advance Auto Parts.... the wires were $50, the plugs are either $2 or $5 ea.) I have close to 10k mi on these parts, great stuff.
When I first got mine in Dec last yr, it was working harder, crap city mileage, etc.... tune up helped.

Fuel injection cleaner would help, it won't hurt it. You could always seafoam (this cleans all the carbon and other crap out) the engine.... There is recent posting on seafoaming the explorer in the 91-94 section.... look it up if your interested.... think there's even a video for a how to.

Mr. Cribb - Thanks a lot will try these suggestions and look into the seafoam/cleaner suggestions.

Back