• Register Today It's free!

Engine Performance Problem

Jewels777

Reaction score
City, State
frankjulie10204@att.net
Year, Model & Trim Level
frankjulie10204@att.net
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer, V6, 4.0 Liter, automatic. Lately, and seemingly quite often, the truck doesn't seem to want to start when its warm. This problem seems to be getting worse lately. If the engine is cool, and I'm only driving to one destination, regardless of how long it takes to get there, it seems to run fine. We recently went on a 3 hour road trip without a single hiccup. However, if I have to run a few errands around town which results in me having to stop and restart the car a few times in different locations, by the 2nd or 3rd time (when the engine seems warmer) it doesn't want to start. It will actually start and stall immediately if you don't feed it gas, and keep your foot on the pedal. So if you drive with one foot on the gas, constantly, and the other foot on the brake, it will obviously go and the problem seems to go away after you've driven it for about a few minutes. Then when you slowly release your foot off the gas, to test the rpm's at idle, usually it will be ok, but sometimes it won't and you'll notice the rpm's go very low to the point where it wants to stall again. This also happens if I have the car running in park for over 5-10 mins. Help! This is getting very frustrating. We've replaced the fuel pump relay(twice)... still doing it, replaced the fuel regulator and fuel filters. We can hear the fuel pump engage every time we turn the key. I was wondering if its a sensor, or hoses or injectors. We've put fuel injector cleaner in the gas... still the problem persists. Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated. We love our truck! Thanks!!

Moving to the correct forum..This is the 2011+ forum.

Thank you!! I'm sorry. :)

Take off and clean or Replace the IAC (IDLE AIR CONTROLLER). do a search on here you will find many write ups on it.

Back