Engine putters out and dies.

Adam You

Reaction score
City, State
Modesto, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I have a Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4.0L SOHC Issue
Im not even close to a mechanic and know very little about engines and what not so please excuse me if I sound not so bright. I recently paid a mechanic to replace both valve cover gaskets to fix a small oil leak. Now my engine putters out as if there is an airflow problem or fuel issue. It will rev up high and then lower and will completely shut off after 5 minutes of sitting without me giving it gas. I have taken it almost completely apart to check all hoses and all seem to be intact so not sure what I am missing. Here is a video of what it sounds like or does..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Hmm any way to narrow it down?

You stated you changed the valve cover gaskets, I am assuming this requires removal of the spark plug wires, double check and make sure the spark plug wires are in the correct firing order, that is the simplest thing to check at the moment, it is very easy to get them mixed up.

Back in my younger dumb days, I accidentally ran the wrong wires to the plugs in a F150. The truck did not start but it did make the most god awful noise when starting. It sounded like the engine was going to explode due to the wrong wiring.

Not saying that would be the problem with this one but by the sound of the motor, I personally don't think this is the case.

I do agree with a vacuum leak. You can hear a 'hiss' with it running.

As for tracking it down....I would first go back to where you got the gaskets done at and tell them what the deal is and it started after they done them. Maybe they can confirm an issue that happened while they were working on it.

Back