• Register Today It's free!

Engine rebuild

DoraDaExplora

Reaction score
City, State
Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer V8 Limited
Hello All, Proud owner of a V8, 3rd gen Auto Limited Explorer. 206000 km on the clock. We have had some trouble of late, Long story short, Engine is leaking coolant internally. Will cost about $3000 to fix. So have decided to go for a re-build with a performance mechanic.

The question: What can people recommend I have done. So far going with new Cam, Chip upgrade, manifolds, looking at a delta 40 exhaust system. What other things could / should we have done? It mostly gets driven on the open highway. What have you all had done and was it worth it ? etc. Links or articles would be great.

Previously we have had the rear diff and tailshaft done.

This is our second explorer, our 2nd gen chains went. I refuse to give up on the explorers, even though it kills my pocket, but I just love the Americana, and there aren't too many down here in Australia.

Thanks again all for keeping this forum and others like it alive!

If you are doing a complete engine rebuild I would suggest different pistons that can handle more power and put different head gaskets on to help raise the compression. See if a ford racing flywheel will work with the trans. Pretty much anything that fit on the mustang will fit on the explorer.

Back