Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Engine rebuild

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by DoraDaExplora, June 3, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DoraDaExplora

DoraDaExplora New Member

City, State:
      Australia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer V8 Limited
      Hello All, Proud owner of a V8, 3rd gen Auto Limited Explorer. 206000 km on the clock. We have had some trouble of late, Long story short, Engine is leaking coolant internally. Will cost about $3000 to fix. So have decided to go for a re-build with a performance mechanic.

The question: What can people recommend I have done. So far going with new Cam, Chip upgrade, manifolds, looking at a delta 40 exhaust system. What other things could / should we have done? It mostly gets driven on the open highway. What have you all had done and was it worth it ? etc. Links or articles would be great.

Previously we have had the rear diff and tailshaft done.

This is our second explorer, our 2nd gen chains went. I refuse to give up on the explorers, even though it kills my pocket, but I just love the Americana, and there aren't too many down here in Australia.

Thanks again all for keeping this forum and others like it alive!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. extra-medium

extra-medium Active Member

City, State:
      Charlottesville, VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      If you are doing a complete engine rebuild I would suggest different pistons that can handle more power and put different head gaskets on to help raise the compression. See if a ford racing flywheel will work with the trans. Pretty much anything that fit on the mustang will fit on the explorer.