Engine Sensors - Part 2 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Sensors - Part 2 - Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor

Thanks for posting this Glacier991 just finished cleaning now to put it back in and find your thread on the TPS.

as for the screw with the epoxy i just used vicegrips and spun it out, worked fine :)

Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Invaluable information Glacier991 thank you for posting this.

Glacier,
Thanks for the awesome info. My idle was as you described, (1800 RPM's in N) spark knocked BADD under a load, surging while accelerating, just ran like crap. I bought a can of Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner ($6.99 @ O'Reilly auto parts) Took the MAF sensor out not seeing any trash or soot I cleaned it any way. Also, i took out the aluminum housing that it sits in as well and cleaned that as well, inside AND out. It evaporated rather quick on the outside I still gave it 20 mins to dry on the inside. The directions on the can state LET DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE REINSTALLING OR ELECTRICAL SHORT WILL RESULT ON THE COMPONENT. I put it all back together, started it up, and this thing runs like a champ! The spark knock is barely noticable. Spark plugs and wires are next. To think I've had this thing to every known mechanic here and NO one knew a $7 can of cleaner and 40 minutes fixed what has been a problem for MONTHS! Thanks again, you guys absolutely RAWK!

MAF Sensor

I experienced a gradually worsening spark knock over peroid of 6-9 months in my Crown with loss of power. After research, found the MAF sensor was possible culprit. It didn't look dirty? I cleaned it with a (keeping in mind I wanted to be delicate with it) a feather duster as I didn't research what to clean with. Noticed an immediate diffference. No knock. Its been at least 6 months now. Never set a code.

A Place to Start

I just wanted to say thanks for giving me so much information here. :thumbsup:

I've spent all day today inside the engine compartment of my Explorer, cleaning the MAF sensor, cleaning the IAF and tryingto do a tune up. My hands and arms, however, DO NOT fit down the sides of this engine in between all the other crap that is attached. URGH! :(

CEL has been on for a couple of years (I know, I know), but couldn't get through DEQ to get new tags so I had to do something.

Until I read all this stuff, I didn't know I could take it to AutoZone for the codes (another BIG thank you :thumbsup::thumbsup:). Found out that my suspicions were correct in that codes said either MAF or oxygen sensor.

I think I will wait until Monday to replace the two front sensors though because I need to let all the bruises on my hands and forearms heal (from trying to squeeze them into places they don't belong!!).

Thanks again for all the VERY helpful, useful info. Hopefully, after replacing those oxygen sensors, it will pass DEQ.

Keep up the great posts!!

Max CFM of 96 OHV 4.0 MAF?

I'm getting ready for forced induction. I read somewhere here on the site that somebody thought that the stock MAF voltage didn't max out until about 550CFM. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I normally calculate out 1.62 CFM/horsepower, so that'd be about 340 hp, and should take at least 11 psi of boost. If I can get away with not having to buy a cobra or lightning MAF I'd like to save the coin. But I plan on making at least 10 psi of boost.

Thanks - very helpful

My Explorer failed smog and I took it in for a $99 diagnostic. They quickly cleaned the MAF sensor and charged me $150!:mad: This time I will clean it myself! :p:

Great tutorial - much appreciated.

you don't need to spend $7.00 in any "MAF Cleaner", all you need is alcohol found in your medicine cabinet; Put some of the alcohol in a spray bottle, or screw the spray head on the alcohol bottle, and spray away at the maf wires, a little is all that's needed; then if you have a compressor, use it to blow air in the cavities of the maf's aluminum housing.

all the "MAF Cleaner" is doing, is cleaning your dollars out of your wallet!

:party:

Back