Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

engine stumble

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by jcarter, October 5, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jcarter

jcarter Member

City, State:
      Edmonton
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 Sport
      Hi,

I am looking for any input on an engine stumble I encounter when I cold start and put into gear. This is the only time I experience it. Idle is fine, lots of power, responsive, it runs perfect but....If it sits overnight or cools down after 3-4 hours, starts fine but when I go into reverse to back out of the garage I get an engine stumble and then its ok.....sounds to me like a vacuum leak problem but I just don't know yet....anyone have this problem??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Opera House

Opera House Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Is it only in reverse?

These early explorers have a problem with the reverse servo leaking. And that is a very easy fix.

4. jcarter

jcarter Member

City, State:
      Edmonton
      93 Sport
      yes, seems to be reverse now that you mention it....reverse servo? where is that, can you elaborate, thanks in advance

5. Opera House

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Reverse Servo A4LD

Some day I'll finish this. For now here is the rough draft without pictures. It really doesn't need any and you can go to the atcdg web site for a view. Think of this as Introduction To Trannies 101.

A4LD LOW/REVERSE SERVO IMPROVEMENT

Many A4LD, 4R44E, and 4R55E transmissions have a problem with no or delayed reverse engagement, reverse shudder/chatter, and/or no engine braking in manual low (1). Some symptoms are not very obvious but can lead to the early failure of the reverse band. This is the result of the O-ring on the Low-Reverse Servo developing a heat set and failing to make a complete seal. Every A4LD should have these O-rings replaced. My 92 transmission was rebuilt in 96 and it did not get this improved seal at that time. There is an updated "double lip" style seal made out of a polyacyrlic rubber instead of the nitrile rubber compound O-ring.. This solution was first borrowed from the C6 transmission and is now included as part of the O-ring kit from the better suppliers.

WARNING: This is a blind procedure and there is no practical way of knowing if the reverse band is seated properly. Unlike single bands, the reverse/low band is a double wrap band. This limits major movement. Frictional and. viscous forces will tend to keep the band where it is. The servo rod is rounded at the end and fits into a well on the band as well as the two housing pins. This serves to self align the band. Obviously for manufacturing purposes, when the transmission is stood vertically on the output end, movement of the band to the rear is restricted and is in position to accept the servo rod. Forward movement of the band, however, is not restricted. Rotation of the output shaft, large vibrations and the transmission pointing down toward the front could cause the band to move forward. This, like any transmission procedure, flushing, pump out, or new fluid has the potential to cause new problems. If you are not currently experiencing delayed reverse or loss of low braking, the risk/benefit of this procedure may not be appropriate. Every effort was made to insure this information is accurate with a transmission in a vehicle and by viewing operation of a disassembled transmission on a stand. This should not be considered professional advice and unknown manufacturing changes could cause an unforseen problem.

I used the overhaul kit from bulkparts.com for the 85-95 A4LD #23031 which is approximately $27. This is the Toledo Trans-Kit from SPX/FILTRAN. The two O-rings that you will need are packaged separately in the kit and will be easy to find. Replacement is no more difficult than changing the filter.

This technical bulletin can be viewed on www.atcdg.com by clicking on tech and looking for A4LD.

Another improvement is the American made glass fiber MicroFelt filter from SPX/FILTRAN.. This is also the same filter that is used in the 5R55E (#23921 for 4WD). If you have shopped for filters previously, you will remember that the 2WD versions got the filter element and the 4WD versions got just a metal screen. Evidently 4WD vehicles needed a higher flow for better cooling/shifting. The new filter is physically much larger than the old filter. There is even more filter area because the filter is folded over and welded inside to create twice the surface area. Flow restriction is no longer a problem with this filter. Be sure you order the correct long or short tube version depending on your pan design. This filter is only about $10 from www.bulkparts.com and comes with a new bolt and spacer. If the filter is ordered separately, it does not come with replacement O-rings or a pan gasket. These seals are included in the overhaul kit. SPX/FILTRAN.technical details can be viewed on www.bryco.com. SPX has the patent on this filter design #D422600 and many others.

Working on a transmission only seems a like a formidable task. Replacement of these items is easy for anyone to do without removal of the transmission. I have removed and installed the reverse servo several times and there is nothing tricky about it. The center shaft eases the alignment of the piston. The spring only requires moderate effort to compress. The only item to pay attention to is the cover which has a tilted mounting surface and mounts only in one direction. Mark the rear section of the cover before removal. Before installation, the walls on the valve body should be lightly cleaned with a crocus cloth or Scotchbrite pad. Remove any sediment from the housing, piston and cover with brake cleaner prior to installation of the new O-rings. Lubricate parts with transmission fluid before installation.

While the pan and filter are off, the torque on the valve body bolts should be checked. When I changed the filter on my 97 5R55E, I found all the valve body bolts were all loose. This could be the problem with many transmissions as they age. Be sure to use the correct torque. Too much is as bad as too little and will cause the plate to warp. Seven foot-pounds is not much of a twist. Transtec has a optional double thick valve body gasket kit to correct more difficult sealing problems.

The steps in servo replacement are as follows:
      1. Place vehicle in PARK and leave it in that position for the entire procedure.
      2. Make sure that after the vehicle has been jacked up that the front of the vehicle is higher than the rear.
      3. Remove pan
      4. Remove transmission filter and locate reverse servo cover at back corner of transmission.
      5. Mark the back edge of the reverse servo cover. Remove four retaining screws on the servo cover. Hold the cover as the screws are removed. The spring between the piston and the valve body will push the piston and cover down. Note the cover surface is slanted and note the position.
      6. Inspect for excessive wear. Lightly clean surfaces with a crocus cloth and install the two new O-rings. Lubricate piston with transmission fluid.
      7. Replace ( new gasket if available), cover, piston and spring. Torque bolts to specification.
      8. Replace filter, old O-rings may need to be transferred from old filter
      9. Replace pan gasket and install pan.
      10. Fill with 3 quarts of fluid. Start engine and cycle from forward to reverse. Recheck fluid levels when warm.

TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS:
      Oil Pan to Case 8-10 Ft-Lbs
      Reverse Servo to Case 80-115 Inch-Lbs, 6.7-9.6 Ft-Lbs
      Main Control (valve body) to Case 71-97 Inch-Lbs, 5.9-8.0 Ft-Lbs

REFERENCES:
      SPX/FILTRAN, Technical Bulletin No. 124,
      C3, A4LD, 4R44E, 4R55E Delayed Reverse Engagement

ATSG, Ford A4LD Techtran Manual Pages 22, 23, 24, 31, 36, 47, 62, 111

www.atcdg.com (View tech bulletins, A4LD
      www.bulkparts.com

Last edited: October 17, 2002
    6. Phat_Bastard

Phat_Bastard Member

City, State:
      NJ
      93 LX
      Nice post Opera House!!!!:D :D :D

I give you 3 smilies.....-

So how can I tell what tranny I have, do they list a couple for the 93's???? I actually have a small shuddder when i go to backup. It is kinda bouncy backing up.

I just thought the motor was idling a little crappy or something.....

???:eek:

7. Opera House

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      Check door plate

Don't know how it works with a Mazda label but under "Trans" if it has a "T" then it is an A4LD I think that was all they offered in an automatic till the V8. Transtec.com has a lookup chart but they don't even list an Explorer till 95 for anyone else wanting to look up a transmission for other cars.

EDIT: I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW THIS POST GOT HERE!

UPDATE: B94Sport did the reverse servo update and his results can be read on Gen Explr - Weekend Project

Last edited: October 22, 2002
    8. fordkrazy

fordkrazy Active Member

City, State:
      Plantation FL
      96 xlt 4x2
      its an a4ld....thats all they made for the 4.0 untill 95

9. simmons1

simmons1 Member

City, State:
      Raleigh, NC
      1997 Sport 4x4
      I'm not so sure it is a reverse servo problem. I have the exact same problem as jcarter, but I have a manual tranny. On a cold day you start the X up and shift to reverse or 1st, just for the engine to stumble causing you to press the clutch give a little rev and then off you go with no problems. My X does this constantly in reverse or 1st gear only on the first start of the day. I have great idle, throttle response, and the engine purrs. It seems to be the only thing wrong with the engine. I just attributed it to too much air from the KKM on a cold engine. It is a little annoying but I have not found a cure for it yet. It would be interesting to see how many more X's have this problem and see if there are any solutions.

10. Lifted95X

Lifted95X The Xplorer U Luv to H8

City, State:
      EASTPOINTE, MI
      03 4.6 Mounty
      I get the exact same thing...but...if I shift into gear, and wait maybe 2-3 secs before moving...it's fine.

11. Opera House

City, State:
      Cincinnati, OH
      2014 Explorer 3.5L base
      B94Sport just did this

Read his experience on Gen Explr - Weekend Project.