Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Engine surging; dieseling upon shutoff; airy release sound

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by MistahYebba, October 25, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. MistahYebba

MistahYebba Active Member

City, State:
    Clearwater, Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hey,

so problem after problem that comes up on my truck, I try to address each one accordingly..

Recently I've been having an issue where the car is surging very frequently and rhythmically.

At a complete stop in gear, the car surges "vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom" and the RPMs quickly rise and drop repeatedly maybe 50RPMs.

Once driving, I can't really feel the effects of this.

Now, I believe these two issues to be related...

I also am having a hard time killing the engine.

When I turn off the key, it diesels.... (engine knocking and shaking the entire Ex trying as hard as possible to not turn off it seems..)

I have tried waiting like 30 seconds to see if it eventually dies, but it just won't...

to get around this problem, I simply turn the electronics on and the engine begins purring right away again... then I turn the key off again.

It takes like 6-7 attempts before I finally get the engine to shut off.

When it does.... it's strangely accompanied by the sound of a school bus coming to a stop. Like a big release of air coming from underneath the hood.. and then it stinks really bad like burnt exhaust.

but no visible signs of anything harmful..

and that's it. I park the car and go home!

I'd like to fix this problem though, so any ideas are greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. iLoveMyExploder

iLoveMyExploder Active Member

City, State:
    Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
    i am no expert..... but for the surging- my truck was doing that too, but only when the engine was cold. I cleaned the butterfly throttle choke thingie, and the MAF sensor... and it doesn't do that anymore...

for the dieseling thing... maybe a vacuum line issue, maybe a sensor or something?