• Register Today It's free!

engine swap ideas...

imnotted

Reaction score
City, State
the Albuquerque.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 V8 XLT
I'm sort of bored with my ex. I was curious to know if anyone has put the lightning (post 97) engine in an explorer. Of course, if you did this, you'd have to upgrade the supercharger to the eaton and make it a 500hp beast. I think the hardest part would be finding someone who doesn't want their engine.

And yes, I know how much fabrication it would take, but anybody thought about putting a small diesel in there? Just a cool concept idea. I wouldn't think of doing it to my ex, even though I use it mostly for towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone has stuffed a (Detroit?) diesel into their Ex but I'm sure it wasn't cheap. BUCHVILLEMAN is currently installing a 351 in his Ex. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything other than the 4.0 V6 to 5.0 V8 swap.

I've been kicking around the idea of swapping in a 3.0 DOHC V6 (Escape) but am stymied by what tranny to use.

If you get creative, let us know!

Only Ford SVE has done the 5.4L lightning swap. LOTS of fab! On RPS board, gregr is doing a MArk VIII 4.6L DOHC cam currently. As for the lightning, it comes from the factory with the Eaton, the upgrades are either ported Eaton or Kenne Bell. The Kenne Bell is the wise choice.

Asfor diesel, I want to do one bad. Ford in South America sells a Ranger with a 2.8L Powerstroke, but not avail in US. International will sell one, but it is ~$7K. Other choices would be a small Cummins (3.9L maybe), a BMW or Mercedes car diesel, or a small Izusu or Nissan (UD) engine.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ grows on tree's where you are? hahaha

Stick with the 5.0L or 351 conversion to save some big $$$ and frustration......

there is an old rule of thumb, if you have to ask, let someone else do it.
Now there are always those out there who can do a whole project like this without spending alot of $$ and building everything to work themselves, if you are one of those guys, have at it! But be prepared and know what you are getting yourself into.....

ANYTHING in possible with enough time and $$$$$

I'm not necessarily one of those guys that can do a big project for little $$, but I rent out a shop with a bunch of them, and we regularly do the GRM $2005 challenge (this year, we're taking 3 cars). Trust me, frugalness would be a priority. But this was just a thought, anyway.

Todd, you mentioned, "...On RPS board, gregr is doing a MArk VIII 4.6L DOHC cam currently..."

Seriously, because it all looks too tight?
DonW

hmmm well i got a 93 lightning. that might be a good idea if i ever wreck the truck but until then i consider it blasphemy to tear one out before then but afterwards.... it sounds like fun

Check out the thread. He has some major obstacles, and sounds like he is going to lose A/C. It is creative, however, I like to keep all stock functions and would not give up A/C for this, just do a 5.0L or 5.8L.

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142933

Be sure to check out the link in GregR's signature.

Todd

Excellent thread, I need to register to watch the progress. I figured swapping bodies would be easier. There's a lot of ways to do anything.
DonW

Just drop a 5.0 (331 or 347) stroker in there. The new mod motors won't fit without moving the firewall and cutting the fenders. When my stangs 5.0 gets pulled for my new 347, the 302 is getting rebuilt for my ex.

Back