engine swap time crunch - injector colors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap time crunch - injector colors?

Nedwreck

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky, Y'all!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt, '92 4x4
I have a year-unknown Ranger OHV 4.0 I'm trying to get stuffed into a '93 explorer "on the quick". The ranger 4.0 is a single O2, as evidenced by the wiring harness on it.

The old motor has Red top injectors, the new motor has Black topped injectors.

Shucking the upper intake and swapping is a time hit I don't need (plus the hour round trip for a gasket set).

Options anyone? Or does this even matter?

Can a different MAF fix me up, after the motor is in (if the injectors are different ratings)?

THANKS!
-ned

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Early 1990 Ranger 4.0l OHV used 16# injectors, anything '91 and up used 19#.

The throttle body on new motor has '91TF-AA', which puts it between 91-95 I think?

Good news..... I think the 93 explorers were 19lb. ????

in the OHV's the 2nd O2 sensor is ran off of the transmissions wiring harness also if you need to check the camshaft position sensor and adjust it, it is a lot easier to do it with the engion out then trying to do it with the engion in.

If the 93 does not have egr it has no cam sensor wired in, however it should have 2 02 sensors.

I would swap the injectors and fuel rail, paying attention to the gaskets between fuel rail and plennum(s) as different years have a different spacing. You should not run into an issue with that but do double check.

in the OHV's the 2nd O2 sensor is ran off of the transmissions wiring harness also if you need to check the camshaft position sensor and adjust it, it is a lot easier to do it with the engion out then trying to do it with the engion in.

On my 93 both 02 sensors are in the engine harnes, however, there are 3 possible engine harnesses in 93.

One has 1 02 sensor (batch fire injection), the 2nd has 2 02 sensors( batch fire injection) , and the 3rd has egr with cam sensor added, along with sequential fuel injection (california). Adding 5 speed trans to the equation really messes things up.

Back