Engine Will Not Turn Over

WNYBroncoBill

Reaction score
City, State
Western New York State
Year, Model & Trim Level
3X88-90 Bronco II
Hi everyone,

It has been some time since I last posted, but I have a question that I hope someone can give me some good advice.

I drove my Bronco II to a storage building in July, backed it into a parking spot and shut it down.

A couple of weeks ago I went to retrieve it from storage. The engine would not turn over, not even budge. Fully charged battery, even jumped it to make sure.

Removed the starter thinking that somehow it seized up. The starter is fine and I tried to turn the flywheel. It wouldn't budge even a MM. Removed the plugs thinking possibly there was a coolant lock in one of the cylinders. (coolant level in radiator was fine also). Poured penetrating oil in the spark plug holes, let it sit a few days and then tried to push start it in 3rd gear. The only thing that happened is that the rear tires skid and the engine doesn't turn over at all.

I have talked to all of our local "experts" and everyone is stumped.

Any ideas? Could this be something common with the 2.9L engine?

Also, no smells or indication of overheating before it went to storage. No lifter noise either.

Please help!

Thanks,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like two separate issues. Did you check the parking brake to see if the rear wheels are locked because the brake is applied? The engine might not turn over because something is holding it back such as: the A/C clutch is stuck or another thing with a bearing is seized. Take the belt off, and test each item to see if you could turn everything manually including the engine.

i would agree with the above statement, take off the belt then try to turn it over and check the other pulleys and see if they spin. i have personally had an alternator lock up on my old 64 ford pickup and the starter was working hard turning over the engine up until the v belt snapped... lol

I had this happen to my old Grand Am. The alternator bearing broke. Yesterday, the A/C compressor clutch broke on my 1995 van. I couldn't crank it. When I connected an electric charger, the engine would catch then die. The belt started to smoke, and I saw that the pulley wasn't turning on the compressor.

Thank you for the ideas to solve my problem with my Bronco II.

A local person told me to remove the valve covers and depress each valve to make sure they are not stuck in the guides preventing the cam and crankshaft from moving.

I think this is the next place I will go since it is probably the last thing I can do before removing the engine :-(

I replaced the cylinder heads in 2010 when I purchased the vehicle. It had cracked heads so I replaced them with fully assembled Alabama Cylinder Head replacements. That was approximately 4,000 miles ago. Never had a problem, never overheated and the vehicle had an oil change within the last 500 miles. Oil level never below full. The odometer indicates 89,000 miles.

Still looking for other ideas.

Thanks,

Bill

Back