engion turns but wont start????

frankyd

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh area
Year, Model & Trim Level
97/97 Explorer OHV VIN X
i have a 97 ford explorer vin X 4.0 ,
i did a complete tare-down of my engion to just the block and rebuilt it from there, it dosent knock when i turn it over ( it sounds like it should ).
i just cant figure out why it turns over but wont start, could my vacuum lines be placed wrong (i figured that it should start then work the bugs out) i also don't have the muffler hooked up (i thought that it shouldnt matter about back pressure at this rebuild stage) everything ran fine before (except that some bearings spun hence the rebuild lol) im at a loss. any questions i will answer any help is very appreciated thank you for your time
sincerely Frank D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update

https://picasaweb.google.com/103001...key=Gv1sRgCMCb_8jGos7l7wE#5627813049835698050

were the green vacuum line goes what is that part called that goes from the manifold to the air intake i think i need to replace that whole assembly and i cant find out were the vacuum line from the front of the air intake goes to because i don't have the hose (i cant find the vacuum line kids are around might of moved it while it out)

https://picasaweb.google.com/103001...key=Gv1sRgCMCb_8jGos7l7wE#5627813049835698050

were the green vacuum line goes what is that part called that goes from the manifold to the air intake i think i need to replace that whole assembly and i cant find out were the vacuum line from the front of the air intake goes to because i don't have the hose (i cant find the vacuum line kids are around might of moved it while it out)

Check for fuel pressure. Check for spark. Is this SOHC or OHV engine? Can you be certain the camshafts are timed correctly? The Camshaft Position Sensor must be properly installed.

Unknown vacuum line open, plug it. Be certain engine has no open holes allowing excess air in, like vacuum connections wide open to outside air. None of the things like muffler should keep engine from firing.

If you tell me which engine it is, I can send you diagrams. imp

my engion is 1997 vin X OHV I had it running for about 3 seconds today then it shut down and now it turns over but wont start again, so im leaning to the vacuum lines and that part in the picture. the timing is correct ( #1 piston top dead center and camshaft sprocket dot lined up with the dot on the engion block ) as for spark i am the only one that has and is currently working on the engion/truck so i cant test that and the Camshaft Position Sensor is to my knowledge installed correctly, but if it wasn't how would i know (i looked at it and there was no visible damage that i could see)

its a stick shift with the 8 bolt flywheel if that makes a difference
thank you for your time

my engion is 1997 vin X OHV I had it running for about 3 seconds today then it shut down and now it turns over but wont start again, so im leaning to the vacuum lines and that part in the picture. the timing is correct ( #1 piston top dead center and camshaft sprocket dot lined up with the dot on the engion block ) as for spark i am the only one that has and is currently working on the engion/truck so i cant test that and the Camshaft Position Sensor is to my knowledge installed correctly, but if it wasn't how would i know (i looked at it and there was no visible damage that i could see)

its a stick shift with the 8 bolt flywheel if that makes a difference
thank you for your time

The Camshaft Position Sensor, called "CID" by Ford, must be aligned correctly by a specific procedure called out inthe Shop Manual. In basic words, the crankshaft must be rotated such that #1 piston is at 26 degrees AFTER Top Dead Center (ATDC). Then, the CID sensor must be rotated CLOCKWISE until it turns "off", then COUNTERCLOCKWISE slowly until it JUST TURNS "ON". At that point it is locked down.

A special short wiring harness is specified to check turn-on and off: Tool Number T94T-50-B. What type of electrical connection this tool makes with the CID, I do not know, but a battery is hooked up to power it. I THINK certain early OHV engines did not have the CID. If yours has a viewing window on top with a moving vane visible, you DO have the CID.

There is probably a way of checking the CID switching points without the tool. Try searching Ford 4.0L V-6 OHV CID set-up. imp

Back