1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

enough juice

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by kdogg212001, January 1, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. kdogg212001

kdogg212001 Active Member

City, State:
      stockton, california
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      94 xlt
      ok i have a stereo system in my 94xlt which i thought was my problem to begin with but i soon did a couple things and found out that its not my stereo, this is whats going on while driving i am fine with my car getting enough juice from the alternator then when engine slows down sometimes it seems like the car is going to die on me, i thought it was my stereo at first because of the major load it takes from the battery but i did it with the stereo off and same things occur, anyone go tany ideas of what could be going on is my alternator going out on me??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. B94Sport

B94Sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Geneva, IL
      05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
      [​IMG]

In English, please?

4. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport
      Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
      yeah, could be.
      :confused:

5. adale

adale New Member

City, State:
      oklahoma city, ok
      '93 Navajo
      Simple math says with 1100 watts of power (assuming this is RMS) that at 13.8 volts you need (1100/13.8) about 80 amps of current which I can tell you "you ain't gettin" from your stock electrical system. The normal alternator is only putting out about 10-20 % of its claimed output at idle and then puts out more at higher engine speeds if necessary. I did not notice what year or type of X you have but the biggest alternator I have seen stock in an X is about 130 amps max. Your basic electrical needs to run the car is about 20 amps without lights, A/C, power windows, etc. Your lights add about 10 amp and your A/C adds around 20 amps. If you are using more amps than the alternator can output, then it comes from your battery and after that you haven't any other sources. If it is cold these numbers go up and if it hot these numbers go up. You really should get a bigger alternator and have it installed. The reason the vehicle is trying to die at idle is the battery is weak from being abused by the sound system and the alternator can't recharge it quickly enough so your electronics that make it run aren't getting the necessary voltage to run correctly. This is just a basic overview and I am sorry for the long post.
      adale

6. kdogg212001

kdogg212001 Active Member

City, State:
      stockton, california
      94 xlt
      thanks man you really did a great job as far as getting into detail unlike acouple of the presvious posts, i will check into that now, one more thing i have a one farad capacitor also would it mean that its probably bad, or still the alternator still?

7. adale

adale New Member

City, State:
      oklahoma city, ok
      '93 Navajo
      I doubt your cap it bad. A capacitor and a battery are very similar in how they act, except a cap is quick and a battery is slow. Your cap is used to keep enough stored energy close to the amp so when it is needed you can just dump it in very quickly, so to speak. A battery lets current go a lot slower, but can keep it going a lot longer. If you have a voltmeter you can check you cap by simply after you shut off your X, unhook the fuse coming from the battery to your capacitor and then check to see if the cap is holding a charge. BE CAREFUL, these 1 Farad caps can be dangerous and shock the hell out of you, I speak from experience. Usually good quality caps either work or they don't and not really anything in between. BTW, if you don't have a fuse between you battery and cap/amp, you really should.