Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Escape torque converter lockup?

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by ErnieX, October 5, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ErnieX

ErnieX Member

City, State:
    Melrose, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 XLT
    My son's 2005 Escape appears to be having a problem with the torque conv. lockup being stuck. Car stalling when comes to a stop, but idles fine in park and neutral. Starting off like it's in high gear. Had this problem on another vehicle and was able to unplug the lockup solenoid for a temp. fix. No flashing OD light.

Is there a lockup solenoid that can be unplugged for temp. relief and drivability just to be able to get it to a trans shop to check out?

Thanks in advance.

EE

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line

4. PopRichie77

PopRichie77 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Quakertown, PA
    2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
    There is danger of the trans over heating if the TC does not lock up. Cars of the past without lock up torque converters had larger converters and had air cooling to prevent over heating. Under normal driving you can get away with the TC not locking, but heavy throttle and city driving and hills will send the temp up, the oil slippage in the small converters generates a lot of heat.

5. ErnieX

ErnieX Member

City, State:
    Melrose, FL
    96 XLT
    Thanks for the reply, Imp and Pop. Guess he'll be making a trip to the trans shop to get it checked out. We're three hours apart so hard to diagnose over the phone.

EE

Last edited: October 6, 2011
  6. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    Sorry, but without some documentation of what you're saying, I don't buy it totally. Today's transmissions have far better cooling provisions provided to begin with. Yes, given very severe driving conditions, lots of heat is generated. But, given everyday driving of moderate severity, like towing, especially with O/D locked out, which prompts TCC to UNLOCK often, quite a bit of driving is done with the TCC NOT ENGAGED.

What if a guy is, let's say, towing something, and NEVER exceeds around 35 mph (totally possible, right?); his TCC will NEVER HAVE ENGAGED at all. So, why doesn't he destroy his transmission? So, no, I don't buy it. Also, given, I drove 2000 miles with NO LOCKUP, through mountainous terrain, some over 7000 feet altitude; the trans. is still operating well today, a year later.

One other consideration: Guys who install HIGH-STALL speed converters, thereby confounding the PCM with appropriate TCC lock-up scheduling; their transmissions continue to work, too (how long? No idea!). imp

PS: Air cooled torque converters were used universally (by Ford) through the 50s, but disappeared altogether with the introduction of their first big-block (FE) V-8s in 1958. After that, cooling was achieved by submersion of heat exchangers inside the car's radiator.

7. PopRichie77

City, State:
    Quakertown, PA
    2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
    I didn't say that you couldn't drive with the TC not locked, but trans temps will go up. With normal driving conditions there should be no problem. When I had a TC lock up problem I towed thousands of miles with no lock up, had to because I was far from home, also when I took the trans apart I saw no damage from heat, but the fluid was very dark and it had been recently changed. All 5 speeds worked perfectly just no lock up. I had no temp gauge at that time. When you lock out OD, the torque converter stays locked much more than it does in OD. This is one of the reasons for not towing in OD. I tow a 4,000+ lb. RV trailer with my Explorer, I have a trans temp gauge and an indicator for TC lock up. Also 2 stock trans coolers. If I tow in OD the first thing that happens when it starts pulling harder is the TC unlocks, trans temps will go over 220 degrees, I try to keep it below that. When towing with OD locked out the TC stays locked much more of the time and trans temps stay below 190 degrees, cooler if air temp is 70 or below. As soon as the TC locks trans temps start to drop down from 220 degrees. When you go down hill and take your foot off the throttle, the TC unlocks, trans temps go up again and if the hill is long enough it will go over 220 degrees again. I try to keep temps below 190. TC will lock in 3rd gear also and I sometimes manually shift from 4th to 3rd so that the TC will lock and keep temp down. The 5R55E will shift to 3rd gear at 35 miles per hour and under light throttle the TC will lock up. The TC in a C4 is much bigger and they were ran with the same HP that the SOHC 4.0, there is more surface area to dissipate heat.
    How hot can trans fluid get before it will cause damage. I have tried to find an answer to this question but can't? I do know that it will boil.

8. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line

9. PopRichie77

City, State:
    Quakertown, PA
    2001 Explorer Sport 4X4
    We are kind of off the original subject, but I have tried the switch to keep the TC locked up and the PCM does throw a code and the trans goes into limp mode. Not a good thing because it now starts off in 3rd gear. Mine doesn't seem to affect the engine power but some do.
    Your right air cooling went out a long time ago and had no bearing on the original question.
    If the Escape PCM is similar to the Explorer, there is no easy way to keep the PCM from trying to lockup the TC so that it doesn't throw a code.