EVAP system question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EVAP system question.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
This week the CEL came on of course just before I needed to take the truck for state inspection, I checked the codes & I have a PO455, large EVAP leak. Today I removed the battery & battery tray from my wife's 99 Sport (4.0 SOHC) to check the EVAP lines & replace the vapor canister purge valve/solenoid that is under the battery tray. The lines looked good but there was some stuff rattling around inside the old valve. I was able to pop the cap off & a couple pieces of black pellets came out. The metal line running to the rear of the truck to the charcoal canisters is rusted pretty badly so I am going to cut the metal line & replace it with a rubber line. When I cut through the metal line a whole bunch of little black pellets came out of the line. Here is a pic of what came out of the line. I am going to run a new line from the charcoal canisters up to the front & do away with the rusted out metal line.
100_1565.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the charcoal from inside the evap canister. Guessing you'll be needing a new canister too.

BTW - If you have a lot of rust the canister bracket is probably rusted away and the canister will be laying in your spare tire.

Looks like the charcoal from inside the evap canister. Guessing you'll be needing a new canister too.

BTW - If you have a lot of rust the canister bracket is probably rusted away and the canister will be laying in your spare tire.

It was rusted away, I found a plastic one on a 2000 Explorer in the JY & replaced the rusted metal one last year.

What was left of the old metal canister bracket.
100_1425.jpg

Plastic replacement.

100_1424.jpg

What's the part number for the plastic one? i have been trying to find one without any luck.

I found it in a JY in a 2000 4 door Explorer. The next time I have the spare tire down I can get the part number off it.

Update: One of the charcoal canisters was missing the little screen in one of the connector holes so the charcoal was getting into the lines. I replaced both of the canisters & the vapor canister purge valve/solenoid which was supposed to hold vacuum & was not. I drove the truck for 30 miles today & no CEL & 6 of the 7 readiness monitors are ready. We will drive it a couple more days then take it for the state inspection.

Hm a question... What happens to the motor without it? Over here in Eu if you have a lpg converson you are not subject to emission control. I am doing a rebuild and a few days ago i removed whole instalation and it looked poor, rusted away. Prior to that, car run just fine.

Update #-2: I have read it says to get the EVAP monitor to set & get the P1000 code to go away after repairing the EVAP system you have to drive the vehicle for 10 minutes between 45 & 65 MPH. I took the Sport to work with me & got on the highway & set the cruise control at 60 MPH & ran it for 10 - 11 minutes, then changed my speed until I got to work. I took the Sport to the state inspection station after work & it passed inspection.

Congrats!

Back