Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ever have "One of those days"? Share it here.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by gmanpaint, June 26, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Share your day of frustration with us here, and vent a little. :thumbsup:

I will start it off.......

Awoke to a stinging sensation in my leg. Had a spot of blood on my outer thigh.
    What was it that got me? Didn't have a clue. Flipped on the TV, seen it was going to rain later in the day, and decided to skip the morning shower and get outside to mow the lawn first. Nice and cool temps still at 8am. Got my cup of coffee made, got dressed, and headed for the door.

Before I could make it to the door, I was surprised to see the living room had a couple of wasps flying around. :eek: Grabbed a fly swatter and began flailing away with windmill motions and red in my eyes. I found out what had got me in my sleep! :mad:

After getting them all splatted in the living room, I had to clean up a little bug guts. While getting a paper towel wet, I was confronted by more of them at the window at the kitchen sink. WTF! Game on! Splat...squish! :hammer: UGH!

Okay, now how where they getting inside? No windows open....hmm? :scratch: Went outside and explored the home. Found a huge nest inside the gap between the window and the storm glass. That same window has a window unit A/C unit. Window is opened half way and rests on top of the unit. Sealed all the way around with foam. So.......WTF? Turns out they were squeezing thru the tiny crack between the 2 windows. :(

Found the can of wasp killer.....empty! WTF? Got a stick, wrapped a rag on it, doused it with lacquer thinner, and stuck it up the window to try to kill them. I have done this many times at work. The fumes kill them instantly and they drop like a rock. Well, this alien of a bug wasn't phased by this method, it just pissed em off!

So, the neighbors are watching me run thru the yard with arms waving overhead and screaming like a high school girl at a Justin Bieber concert. :crazy: Time to re-group!

Going thru the garage of chemicals, I found brake cleaner and starting fluids. I chose the starting fluids, thinking that would surely knock em out at least....works in the Get Smart TV show after all. :thumbsup:

Sprayed it up the gap in the window. More running takes place. :(

Neighbors come over with a can of actual wasp / hornet killer. Well, that worked just fine. YAY! No running! :)

Back into the home to get a drink......Get attacked by angry wasps! :mad:
    Guess I drove em inside with the starting fluids :thumbdwn: Game on!
    Squish, splat, MFERS! ;) Phew! All dead. I think...:shifty_ey

Time to mow the lawn finally. Took the cover off the John Deer rider, and lifted the seat to fill it up with gas. What do I see? Only a few hundred ants carrying eggs in/out of the underside of the seat! WTF!!! BUGS!!! Mfer! :mad:

Hosed them down at full blast. Waited a bit.....nope, still there. Broke out the lawn bug stuff..liberally soaked em and the seat. Waited a bit....nope, still there. Removed the seat, and beat the ever living snot out of it. They just didn't stop coming out! WTF? How many can be in there? Went inside and looked online and found out a queen ant can lay a thousand eggs a day...WTF? Been at least a week since I used the mower....Great! :rolleyes:

After a quick online argument in a thread on the forum, I went back at it. :rolleyes:

I removed the seat sensor (where they were entering) and poured lacquer thinner in it. They ran like mad for a long time. I let it sit over a bucket with thinner in it. They kept falling out into the bucket forever it seemed. Eventually it stopped and there was a pile of dead ants, and a stream of them leaving with bags packed and in tow. :)

Seat replaced (wet as heck) and time to get mowing....YAY!

Turn the key to start it....nothing. WTF? :mad:

Opened up the hood and found a blown fuse, replaced it....no crank. WTF? :hammer:
    After going thru about 30 mins of cursing, I gave up. Went for the push mower, got it fueled up, started and was finally going to mow!

Well, all this time has passed, and it started raining. I cut as much as I could with the little mower until I couldn't take any more of it. Got half cut. :( I give up. White flag is hoisted. I surrender. I fought the lawn, and the lawn won. :rolleyes:
    Closed up shop, and went back inside.

Snif.... Snif..... hmmm. Starting fluid is the aroma of the day. WTF! Days only half over too..............:eek:

Last edited: June 27, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    Mate, sound's like a right c*** of a day, but you sure tell one hell of a good yarn!!! Hope the sun comes out tomorrow. (feel free to break into the song off Annie)

4. pwhiteelec05

pwhiteelec05 Active Member

City, State:
    ks
    97 dak
    I hope your not smoking in the house for a few days.

5. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Forgot to say I also found a hole in the yard when I was running for my life. Ankle is swollen and is a mfer to walk on right now.

I'm still here to kick some wasp ass another day tho !! :D

Ants....them things just put the fear of the almighty in me. :eek: Evil suckers live by the gazillions under ground and hide all around us with out us even knowing they are there. Spawns of Satan bugs is what they should be called!

6. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Willow Grove, PA
    '97 XLT
    Ants are fractured, disorganized and lack dynamic leadership.

If they ever remedy these flaws, God help us all.

7. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    Wait- Gregg, when did you go to a Justin Bieber concert? Are you a Belieber?

I also killed a mountain of ants in the driveway today, with a can of brake cleaner and a firestick. That was liberating...

8. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    LOL, NOT a Belieber! I said LIKE a girl at a Bieber concert.....:p:

Last edited: June 27, 2011
  9. 2-Stripe

2-Stripe Active Member

City, State:
    Anchorage ak
    2000 explorer xls
    I got a splinter while opening a wooden box. But your story is better ;)

10. Scotty J.

Scotty J. Packin

City, State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    '02 Ford Ranger XLT
    Days like that are far and few between, mainly because I really don't give a shit most of the time. However, this year has been particularly hard on my boss. Tomorrow is the end of our fiscal year and I'm staying as FAR away from him as I can LOL.

We are in the process of upgrading your phone system at our main office to a CISCO based IP phone system, however our DIDs have been delayed because we are requesting a bank of 6,000 DIDs. Well, lightning hit our Option 11 Meridian phone system yesterday afternoon and scrambled it's eggs. Unfortunately, the last time that system had been backed up was in 2006 *SIGH*. So, we were having parts overnighted to fix it. The tech was supposed to be there at 7:00 (with overnighted parts??? really???), but didn't show until 10:00 (probably had to wait on the parts).

So while this is going on today, one of our network techs took his van to Wal-Mart to have the battery replaced. The guys at Wal-Mart replaced the battery, pulled the van back around and our tech got into it, turned the key and nothing. He goes back inside and tells them that it won't start. They come out, pop the hood to check the contacts etc.. and can't find anything wrong, they had told our tech to try it and he had reached in and tuned the key and left the ignition on. Well the rocket scientist at Wal-Mart decided to jump the solenoid. They immediately discovered why it wouldn't start, it was in reverse. It immediately fired up and backed into the car behind it.

I was sitting in my bosses office discussing the phone situation when this tech called and the first thing he said was "are you sitting down?".

I'm staying as far away from the lightning rod tomorrow as I can, there is no telling WHAT is in store for him on the last day of the year.

11. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    yeah everything went well but so damn boring, whens another fight them crackheads or a police stand off outside my apt gonna go down

12. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Scotty, I suggest using a pad of paper & a pen today. :)

YBcold...time to move. :crazy:

13. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    bro im stuck its an everyday thing. :( or untill i loose enuf weight to enlist and gtfo