Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ever Hear of This?? well youll want to!

Discussion in 'WHOOPS!!' started by Derekjeterkid2, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Derekjeterkid2

Derekjeterkid2 Member

City, State:
      Near New London CT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT
      Well lets see, my and my freinds were driving down the road and we saw this huge mud pulldle in the middle of a dirt parking lot so i decided to go through it, i went about 15 MPH and once i got through it my egine started acting up and the battery gauge was going back and forth so i tried pulling out onto a main road and it stalls, i had just enough to pull it into another parking lot with out power stearing. so we look in the egine and it sounded like water was coming out of the tail pipe and my freind was revving the egine like crazy to fix the problem then he ended up taking the air filter apart and i had to drive home without the air filter hooked up, it stalled about 10 times on the way there then we looked at the air filter and it was full of mudd and sand, it was soaked wich might explain why its lost its power since i got stuck in mudd the other day so i went to get a new filter and it seems better now. we also discoverd i need new spark plugs, any one know the gap specifications??

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      Please don't take this the wrong way, but maybe you should learn a little more about offroading and what it does to the truck before you go barreling through another mud hole.

4. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      i know it screws up my truck.... but i still go mudding...... anyway.... the stock gap is listed on your emission control label along with the motorcraft part #

5. jimmyx117

jimmyx117 New Member

City, State:
      Lancaster,Pa.
      91 xl
      Jason, what should he know?

6. Jason_25

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      Oh by all means go mudding! I'm not trying to discourage him at all. I love going mudding in my truck. But I just think he should prepare his truck before he runs through a random mud hole. The airbox should me modified not to take in water for example.

7. jimbo74

City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      and how did you modify yours?

8. Jason_25

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      I removed the box to make sure it doesn't directly suck water in from the fender, I replaced the paper filter with a K&N, and I installed a wood block in the mounting points in the airbox, and sat the intake tube on it to raise the intake about 3 inches higher. I grenaded my engine last summer fording a small creek, and I ran through it this year (same depth) with nary a problem.

9. jimbo74

City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      oh... mine sucks air in directly from anywehre.... its an open element with no fenderwells or anything... it had an airbox with the behind the grill tube.... but that got old and always sucked water in.... time for a snorkel ;)

10. Derekjeterkid2

Derekjeterkid2 Member

City, State:
      Near New London CT
      '96 XLT
      hmm

now i have another problem, when i put my truck into drive this smorning it didnt move until i reallly gased it then it caught so i checked the transmission fluid and it was empty so i put some in and then discovered it was ending up on the ground, anyone know whats wrong now?

11. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      you need to have all your fluids checked because they could all be contaminated with water. Sounds like you busted a tranny fluid line or a seal.

Our trucks are very capable and can take a beating, but you need to educate yourself about what's just hard driving and what's just treating the truck stupidly. I can go through foot deep water or mud at 50 mph easily, but I've protected my air intake, electronics, and fluids so they don't get damaged.

I'd clean or replace the air filter obviously, clean the intake tract, maybe even your throttle body and intake manifold. Plugs are a good idea, Motorcraft double platinums around .48-.52.