• Register Today It's free!

Exact refrigerant charge 98 Sport

shadow460

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Expedition
I replaced my rust bucket accumulator the other day and pulled a deep vac on the system for an hour. Before vacuuming it down the system passed a hydrostatic test at 73 psi. I used nitrogen for that.
I stopped charging r134a at 29 ounces. Basically I handled this the same way I would a split residential AC whose suction line dryer had been hit by a lawn mower blade

The system works. However, I wasn't paying close attention to the charging scale so I may have 28 ounces or I may have 30 ounces of 134 in it. Label on the truck says 30 ounces max. Most residential units will run 1 ounce low on freon.
If this were your truck, would you re measure the refrigerant charge or just run it?

UPDATE: I think this weekend I might re measure the charge. Turns out the Max AC door isn't opening, though, and that might be a problem.
I also repaired the AC in my Expedition this weekend using the same procedure but replacing a failed compressor instead of the accumulator. I know that one was charged dead on accurate. It hit 40 degrees in there with an outdoor temp of 61. The Explorer's AC still does good at 48 (61 outdoor) but I think it could do better.

Back