Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Excessive slop in spider gears?

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by gavin, February 9, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '97 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
    Trying to figure this issue out... had some bad vibrations that started getting worse.
    Last week or so, got under the truck and rotated the driveshaft at the rear pinion by hand. It seemed to have excessive slop and it seemed to turn a lot more than what should be allowed with 010 backlash.
    I figured I screwed something up again when I installed the 4.56 gears, and backlash was way off.
    Well tore it apart... without the axles in, everything felt good. I do think the inner pinion bearing was bad, or going bad; at the very least, when I smacked the pinion out the bearing cage was loose enough that half the roller bearings.
    So got new bearing installed properly this time, everything is good. Replaced both pinion bearings and races. Checked backlash at 3 spots, and it's at .010 which is within spec. Pinion bearing preload is around 22-23 in-lbs. Gear pattern looks good.
    Slid the axles in, but didn't c-clip, and sat the tires on to get some weight.

Best video I could get. Is that anything to be concerned with? It appears that there may be some slop between the 2 sets of spider gears. But maybe that's normal and I'm just paranoid.

Can the (most likely, as they are OEM) toasted LSD clutch packs cause any of these issues?

Last edited: February 9, 2017
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. JK080

JK080 Transmission Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    North Ga
    05 F250 6.0
    Only thing I can think to check is to remove the pin and the spider gears and check the clutch plates and look for wear on the small gear shims or the housing itself. From the video it appears that the slop is between the spider gears teeth, if you have enough wear to cause the spider gears to move away from each other the clearance between the teeth becomes greater. Replacing the LSD clutches is what I think it needs

I wouldn't think this is the cause of the vibration you are chasing, hopefully it was that bearing that came apart or maybe a bent or out of balance drive shaft / u joint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Thanks, that makes me feel a bit better. I do know the clutch packs need replaced. 220k'ish miles, I doubt they're doing much.
    I know it's not a u-joint or driveshaft. I have 2 shafts and both have new u-joints. Same issue is experienced with each.

Been contemplating between rebuilding the LSD and a selectable locker.

5. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Here's a better video that shows my concern.
    Obviously the first clunk is the gears meshing.
    Second clunk/rough patch is due to slop from the spider gears, it would seem.

Outside of maybe some clunking when switching in to drive, reverse, or between drive and reverse (or vice versa), are there any real concerns?
    Could this possibly be the cause of some occasional-to-frequent clunking?
    If I burp the gas just right when doing ~40-50, I would occasionally get a clunk.
    In some instances when going a certain speed and the right angle on a right-hand turn, I would get a clunk. I have (so far) only experienced this in the parking garage at work.

6. rb142

rb142 Active Member

City, State:
    Detroit, MI
    2001 Ranger XLT 4X4
    You can see the play in the spider gears. I'm going to agree with JK. Probably the clutch packs have worn too much and created too much gap. Rebuilding the clutch packs will probably correct the issue.

7. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Metairie, Louisiana
    98 XLT 5.0
    3 votes for the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gavin

gavin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Thanks for the confirmation that it shouldn't be too worrisome.

9. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    @shucker1
    Four! Say, where have you been, lately? imp

10. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Metairie, Louisiana
    98 XLT 5.0
    IMP,

Marksville, LA doing a Gear Box.

Now in Miami finishing an overhaul from last year.