Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

exhaust 3" out

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by fvumbaca, September 16, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 ford sport
      basically the only exhaust that flowmaster has that will fit my truck ( to my knowledge) is a 50 suv series....most of you suggested the 50 series and i want to get a flowmaster but most of you also suggested geting a 2.5 " out as well but the exhaust i found only comes 2.25 in/3 out ( part #524553) what are the pros and cons of going to 3" ? thanks for any input!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. section525

section525 sextion525 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      What engine do you have. If you're not pushing enough ponies, having a larger exhaust will kill your power.

4. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      i have a 98' sohc its either 205hp or 210hp ( i forget) with an intake (kkm)

5. section525

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Well Alec will be the man to talk to about this, and I'm sure he'll post in 1/2 a second... but I think he'd say that unless you have numerous power mods, ie intake, headers, chip, supercharger..., the 3" will "casterate" your 4.0. (Not a pretty picture) Right, Alec?

6. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      i really dont want to lose any hp but i cant find an exhaust like right now i'm on the magnaflow website and i cant find anything with the right spec"s!!!

7. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      3" is too big... you will gain a few ponies maybe, but will lose torque...and torque is needed more in trying to mive a 4500 pound truck..... keep looking around.... there are several members on here with the same vehicle with an exhuast and the concensus is 3" is too big.... 2.25" or 2.5" would be the max recommended size....

8. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      You can use that muffler, but after the muffler I'd have it immediately reduced to 2.25" or 2.5". Have the tailpipe diameter be whichever is .25" larger than your stock tailpipe.

9. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      alec will i have enough back pressure with that?...and do you know anyone that did the same thing or have the same problem and solved it this way?

10. LowdPypes

LowdPypes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      '98 Mountaineer
      Drop in v8...

if you really want a 3" exhaust then take that SOHC out and drop in a V8 :D

11. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      its not a question of if i want the 3" exhaust....i want something that is going to work....and after reading some discouraging posts now i'm looking at trying to make something work that isnt exactly straight forward....but then again that is half the fun (trying to make something work)

12. LowdPypes

LowdPypes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      '98 Mountaineer
      yeah, I know...

Sometimes trying to making something work, I am not even getting into my story, isn't always fun but I know where you are going from. Alec has a few writeups on his insane (hehe) exhaust setups but I am not sure that his would exactly relate to yours. He has done a few engine mods such as supercharging and NOS. I have a ranger with two delta 40's (we bought used like that) and it sounds like s*&#t. Seriously, it sounds like a weed-eater. I have heard the borla exhaust and it sounds nice on a v6 and it keeps the needed backpressure there. I beleive that magnaflow has something similar. As for running duals, I would steer away from it but the choice is yours. Always remember, there has to be a way to do what you want and make it work... just might take some time and modifications. Lastly, although Alec's setup might not work for yours, his knowledge may come in handy... good luck.

13. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      with out a doubt alec is the man....helped out on a lot of questions that otherwise i would have had a had time answering......the muffler i'm looking at is the flowmaster 50 series suv....alot of poeple say it sounds like a "mustang gt"...thats the sound i'm looking for....i dont want to sound like a civic with a additude....the other reason i want the flowmaster compared to some other brands is price too plus a lot of poeple sware by it or magnaflow

14. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      does anyone know if magna flow sells a muffler with duals in and single out 2.5"...i couldnt find one on the site.....or do they have mufflers not listed on the site....and my second question is what is a turbo muffler?....sorry about all the questions but i want to learn about exhaust systems i just dont know much about them

15. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Magnaflow has many mufflers that are dual/single. Magnaflows can be flipped to work either way. I personally favor Magnaflows anyway for the sound and flow. Your idea option is probably a single 2.5" out.

BTW, they are on their site. Go to universal aluminized mufflers.

16. Bobby Locs

Bobby Locs Active Member

City, State:
      Tracy, CA
      '00 Expedition
      I dont know bout all that power loss in the 3" exhaust, because I'm running a 3" and I haven't notice any loss intsead I notice and inprovment after having it done and the sound is great...... I'm aslo running a with a 4.0

17. BonesDT

BonesDT Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Westchester, NY
      Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
      fvumbaca, you could run a dual exhaust with two single in/single out mufflers. are you going to be doing this setup yourself or having a shop do it?

what is needed to do an exhaust setup myself? there are so many unanswered questions and i just need to play around. i want to do some crazy stuff but i dont know how well it will work and i dont feel like paying a shop to do a $600 job and then finding out that it doesnt work to well and needs to be redone. what kind of welder do i need? do i need a pipe bender?

18. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      i was playing around with the idea of having duals out....your right its to exspencive the best deal i could find was $450.....and its not a true dual exhaust at that....so i'm going with the single for about $200...duals definately look better but not worth it when your talking about losing performance at double the cost...a shop is the way to go...i know how to do some welding but i'm not going to mess with it for a couple of reasons....i think i finally found a muffler through magnaflow ( now that i know you can switch the direction thanks alec) and its going to cost me about $95 and the labor will cost me about another $125

19. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      from what i noticed you dont have to buy a pipe bender you can have a shop bend them for you and you can do it yourself....that might be more cost effective if you dont think you will need a bender again

20. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      does anyone know how loud magnaflow mufflers are...because the site says that some are made to suppress niose?....and are all mufflers reverse able because there is a flowmaster 50 series that i want to use but i want to make sure the duals out can be used for duals in and the single in be used for a single out?

21. section525

City, State:
      Red Bluff, Ca
      1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
      Well 'loud' is all relative. I have some on my V8, and after I had mine put on it was much louder... but I wouldn't say 'too loud'. But V6's could be very different.

And all mufflers are not reversable.

22. Alec

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      The Magnaflow on a mostly stock V6 makes it sound much meaner and "burbly" at idle, and beefs it up well at WOT. They don't drone that much, and interior annoyance is minimal. IMO they're a very good balance of mellow sound and attention getting roar.

23. james t

james t moderation Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Texarkana AR/TX
      94 SAS sport
      flowmasters are not reversable. you could proly do it, and only lose some hp, but you would lose some. personally, i wouldnt recommend it. you guys do know that most exhaust shops have 2 into 1 adapters, right? like a dual2" into single 2.5"? most shops have a good selection of sizes laying around and this would allow you to run a single 2.5 or whatever single muffler you wanted...

24. LowdPypes

LowdPypes Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Wilmington, NC
      '98 Mountaineer
      spoiled...

You all are making my feel very spoiled with my muffler guy. I spent around $200 for my setup and I get compliments on how secure and solid it is at just about every car show I go to. If anyone is in the area, I have just the place. He'll do whatever the heck you want done, while you are standing there and the most I have ever spend with $230. Stop by! hehe

25. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      i think i'm going to stick with the magnaflow....it should fit properly with no adaptions...and most of you recommend it....there is no difference price wise and i wont lose performance...thanks for the input guys

26. fvumbaca

fvumbaca Active Member

City, State:
      ct
      98 ford sport
      whats a reasonator? and do i need one?