Exhaust Flange/Donut question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Flange/Donut question.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hello, everyone. I recently discovered that I have an exhaust leak just behind the O2 sensor on my 2000 OHV. I've seen videos of this repair on other vehicles and it seems straightforward. I'm just wondering if the stock bolts unscrew, or if they're welded on and have to be cut off. I'm seeing a bolt kit on rock auto and the"donut" as well as a flange gasket. I know I'll need new bolts, but which gaskets do I need? Just the donut or the flange gasket too? Thanks for any help. This is where the leak is:
24FDAAEB-C47E-443C-B3E4-C74FF7B6D3E7.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about a gasket, but the bolts are not welded. Still they may need to be cut off in order to replace. I would try spraying them with PB Blaster or the like for a couple of days before fighting them.... or just get new bolts and resign myself to cutting them. Exhaust train stuff is notorious for high oxidation due to heat(rust). A propane torch on the nut heated may help break them free. Not cherry red, just enough to enlarge the nut, maybe 400F then try breaking it free. You want to apply heat to the nut quickly before it can soak to the bolt. It doesn't take much time. If you get the bolt hot, it also enlarges. Let it all cool and start over. Good luck with those things, they can be a pain.

Exhaust bolts are a PITA. I'd cut them off in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even try a wrench on them.

I don't know about a gasket, but the bolts are not welded. Still they may need to be cut off in order to replace. I would try spraying them with PB Blaster or the like for a couple of days before fighting them.... or just get new bolts and resign myself to cutting them. Exhaust train stuff is notorious for high oxidation due to heat(rust). A propane torch on the nut heated may help break them free. Not cherry red, just enough to enlarge the nut, maybe 400F then try breaking it free. You want to apply heat to the nut quickly before it can soak to the bolt. It doesn't take much time. If you get the bolt hot, it also enlarges. Let it all cool and start over. Good luck with those things, they can be a pain.

Thanks. Hopefully a breaker bar and pb spray is enough.

Hopefully I can get them off. The X has been in Florida its whole life so the bolts aren't usually that rusted. But they sound difficult so I'll be ready to cut them anyway. I just need to figure out which gaskets to order now. I'm not sure if I need this one or not:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=565632&cc=1362451&jnid=421&jpid=4

Something like a donut or flange gasket I'd buy locally. They're cheap and if there are a few different sizes to choose from (and it's not clear which one you need) buy all the different sizes and return the wrong ones when you're done. That way, once you start the job, you stand a much better chance of finishing it w/out making multiple trips to the parts store, or having to ship stuff back and forth (which can take weeks and add return shipping costs). I'd do the same thing with the bolts/nuts if I didn't have replacements on hand.

Something like a donut or flange gasket I'd buy locally. They're cheap and if there are a few different sizes to choose from (and it's not clear which one you need) buy all the different sizes and return the wrong ones when you're done. That way, once you start the job, you stand a much better chance of finishing it w/out making multiple trips to the parts store, or having to ship stuff back and forth (which can take weeks and add return shipping costs). I'd do the same thing with the bolts/nuts if I didn't have replacements on hand.

Good point. Looks like the only thing I'll have to order online are the spring bolts, as the local advance auto has the gaskets in stock.

Good point. Looks like the only thing I'll have to order online are the spring bolts, as the local advance auto has the gaskets in stock.

AutoZone only lists one size donut gasket and one flange gasket (with two different brands/price points) so you should get the correct ones the first try, unless Advance lists more than one size. You can probably create your own spring bolts from stuff from the hardware store. You can probably reuse your old springs even if you have to cut your bolts.

AutoZone only lists one size donut gasket and one flange gasket (with two different brands/price points) so you should get the correct ones the first try, unless Advance lists more than one size. You can probably create your own spring bolts from stuff from the hardware store. You can probably reuse your old springs even if you have to cut your bolts.

Yeah looks like advance auto is similar. I'm fairly confident that I can reuse the stock bolts and springs as I've never had too much trouble removing bolts in the past. My exhaust bolts were also taken off a few years ago for a rear main seal repair so they shouldn't be too hard to remove again. I hope so anyway.

Back