Exhaust issues, please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rikkileitaylor

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hello everyone, I’m a new member to the forum. I have a 2000 Explorer XLT ohv 4.0 . I have 1 week left to renew my plates and I’ve currently got gutless cats . I went and bought two off of a 98 yesterday but the system was different from mine. I had to purchase them because it’s the best option I’ve found in my price range . Has anyone fabricated or rigged there own custom setup that keeps the dreaded 420 codes clear? Any help or info is very appreciated!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow...that's gonna be difficult to say the least. :wtf:

Where is @cober when you need him

Get the appropriate cats.

Rent a "MIG" welder, (110v variable amp/speed w/argon mix gas & .023 wire) if you dont know how weld with a MIG welder, teach yourself. Then get your cat. converter from wherever you want, but new is the best way to go, and weld them into stock location on your vehicle.

You can buy aftermarket cat converters and have them welded in
Those 2000 model down pipes can also be used but you are going to need a welder/fabricator (exhaust shop) anyways to chop up your 98 pipes and install the 2000 primary cats

So you are trying to get rid of a p0420 code so you can pass emissions?
Your 98 explorer cats have been gutted? Are you sure?

I think he thinks cut cats = more power
The mustang guy's use the mini cat to get the light out

The system you bought from uses a PCM that requires 4 oxygen sensors. Your 2000 system uses 3 oxygen sensors, which your PCM must match. Even if you could physically attach the '98 exhaust parts and plugged one of the downstream oxygen sensor holes, your PCM would throw a code immediately because the open side would not change the stoichiometry of the fuel air mix on that side. You would need the PCM from the '98 to work the fuel system, and the chip key and antitheft system too. In other words, that was a bad purchase. If you can't weld the cats into your current system, you have nothing you can use. Sorry.

But you can sell them to a recycler! Those cat converters are worth between $40-75 each depending on the market for palladium
New cat converters are surprisingly not very expensive from places like Summit or Jegs then you just need them welded in place of your factory units
The entire Y pipe can be dropped, cut apart, re mounted, tack welded with new cats in place, removed, final welded, then re installed at a local exhaust shop
I doubt you will find anyone that will install used cat converters for you.......

I hope that's not legal in any state.
In my area they have no emissions testing for my year so if the cats go this is what I would do if they weren't clogged
Also a good workaround for the track

But I don't see the point to hollow out a cat not to much to gain and the replacement cats are cheap

This is just one of them options not correct but will work if I didn't put it out there I would feel bad I know what it's like to only have one car

Back