Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Exhaust leak?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by skilo, July 23, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. skilo

skilo New Member

City, State:
      Atlanta, Georgia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1999 XLS
      I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLS. I notice a sulphur smell inside the cabin while I am driving. Also, the idling seems a bit rough...especially during initial startup. I was told by an auto parts dealer that the smell could possible be due to an exhaust leak. He checked the error codes and it generated a code of P0171 and a misfire on cylinder 6. What is causing these problems?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
      Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Do you hear a noise that sounds like there is an exhaust leak?

4. RomeovilleIL

RomeovilleIL Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Illinois
      98 LTD, 00 XLT
      Start by addressing your missfire. It is the cause of running rough & unburned fuel going into the cats will give off the nasty smell. Left unchecked for very long will do major damage to the cats.

Check the plug, wires, and coil for good spark and no damage. This usually resolves most missfire issues. If not, move on to fuel injector. After that you have to check compression to see if its a bad valve, worn ring, or crack letting in antifreeze.

If you are unsure how to do these checks, do a search for missfire. You will find lots of info.