Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Exhaust manifold... cracked help!

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Corik, July 30, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Corik

Corik Member

City, State:
      CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      Explorer '91 XLT 4x4 A4LD
      Today I was poking around under the hood and I was putting new clamps on some hoses. I drove the truck for a few minutes to let it warm up and came back. I popped the hood open with the car still on to make sure the clamps sealed well, when I noticed a lot of fumes coming out from the exhaust manifold, I couldn't quite see the crack but I could tell where it must be.

It was on the driver side, and the very back end of the manifold. steam/fumes were coming out and I would like to know what I should do about it?
      Should I replace the manifold? I'm light on money right now and probably cant afford new stuff, so is there a easy way to patch this up until I can fix it properly?
      Also I don't know if its OK to drive it right now or not.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Delta_1980

Delta_1980 Member

City, State:
      livingsville, California
      92' exploder
      sure you can drive it but the excess heat will eventually damage other things close to the leak. um, i don't know of any products that would seal up the hole under such adverse conditions. probably hard to weld (not impossible)........ just put aside some cash from a couple of pay checks- skip a beer or 2 and buy a new or a good used one.

4. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Vermillion, SD
      99 XLT V8 AWD
      If it is cracked, it will have a large effect on fuel economy. If the fumes coming out are exhaust, you should have already been experiencing lower than normal mileage. Outside of that, the likelihood of much damage to anything is low.

Determine whether it is a cracked manifold, a bad manifold gasket or something else. You don't want to spend money where you don't need to. If it is just a bad gasket, then you can do all the repairs for under 15 bucks including buying penetrating lubricant and a wrench if you don't have the right size.

5. atxexplorer94

atxexplorer94 New Member

City, State:
      austin,tx
      94 XLT
      When I thought I had a cracked manifold my dad said that you could melt like a copper wire hanger into the crack,Im sure somebody knows more about this method.