Exhaust Manifold, Hardware, & Converter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jk86racing

Reaction score
City, State
Granby, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer V8 E.B.
A few weeks ago I purchased a 06 Ford Explorer V8 and it looks like it’s going to need some attention in the upper exhaust department; it sounds like the passenger side exhaust manifold has a crack as well as the catalytic converter is giving me a P0420 code.

So my first question is has anyone used any aftermarket manifolds and how did you like them? Are they as good a casting as the OEM? Do they have the same tendency to crack? Now if I wanted to get away from the cast manifold does anyone know of a tubular manifold that would fit with the stock catalytic converts and exhaust system?

Once I replace the manifolds how do you guys feel about the stainless steel studs found on Amazon? Is there a better alternative out there?

Finally when I move down to the catalytic converter has anyone used a Walker or Magnaflow direct fit system? Did you like how it fit? How thick were the pipes compared to the OEM system? Has anyone cut out the bad converter and welded in a universal one?

Thank you in advance for the help. This is only the tip of the iceberg on this project but it should be fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's nice, I guess the demand is there :)

Luckily I was able to get an OEM one of ebay for about same price. But the Dorman one fits well and you could not tell the difference in quality between both.

Thank you guys, that's good information to know. It does sound like an exhaust crack but I have not been able to spot it yet. I just got the vehicle up on jack stands last night so tomorrow I will try to pull back whats left of the manifold heat shield and see if I can spot the issue. Just from a quick glance it does look like all the studs are there, though they are rusted pretty good which I was expecting. I'll soak the studs real good before I start to break them loose and pray to the god of broken bolts that I don't end up with any.

So I was looking up under the vehicle tonight and I was wondering how the heck do I remove the catalytic convertor assembly? Do I have to drop the cross member for the transmission? Will that even get me enough room to wiggle the thing out?

No.
The factory one will not come out unless you cut it with a sawzall like i did, and it still was an issue. The replacement aftermarket assemblies come in 2 pieces making things easier.
On the assembly line, they have a frame rolling on the wheels, and then they attach engine/tranny as one unit and the exhaust.
Plenty of room without the body on it :)

Great... Thank you for the response; I was thinking that was the case. When I dropped the exhaust on my wife's Ford Focus to re-weld all the hangers back on I had to section the exhaust also. I understand the engineers idea of making it easier/quicker on the assembly line, but if they could just put a little thought into the poor saps that one day might have to fix it. Oh well, time to go dig out the Sawzall.:sawzall:

Just an update. I was able to get the catalytic converters down in one piece after a lot of cussing and yelling. I did this by:
  • Removing the cross member under the transmission
  • Putting a floor jack under the transfer case and getting everything as high as it could go
  • Using a ratchet strap to pull the transfer case towards the passenger’s side just a little bit
  • Disconnecting the front driveshaft at the CV joint
  • Removing the driver’s side O2 sensors
  • Dropping the rear exhaust hangers to give me some room
With some fidgeting and cussing I was able to pull it down in one piece. I took a look inside the suspected bad catalytic converter and it looks perfect. When I used a super bright light down the inlet I could see a bit of light in the downstream O2 sensor hole so I know it’s not plugged. Going to rig up a pressure test to confirm.

Now onto the passenger side exhaust manifold; I found both studs for the last cylinder to be broken. They must have been holding on by just a hair because I touched them and they fell off. So I have found my exhaust leak, but I am wondering if the leak also caused my p0420 code. Anyone ever seen that before? Or is the catalytic converter toast?

Back