Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

exhaust question.

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by MountainMonkey, May 14, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MountainMonkey

MountainMonkey Active Member

City, State:
    canada
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    93 xlt
    i did a search about exhaust tubing sizes and what to use and not use and i got mixed results. some people say the engine doesnt require alot of back pressure so having huge pipes wont effect performance while other people say not to go any bigger then 2.5" tubing.

my brother said i can have his 3" tube with a 5" tip on it and i want to put it behind the 2.5" muffler i have on right now. shouldnt cause me any problems right?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    If the muffler is 2.5, then it should be ok. Might be a bit loud or drone with the bigger 3" pipe & 5" tip.

This isn't a hot rod. Big pipes are not needed & will decrease back pressure. You loose tq for higher rpm hp.

4. MountainMonkey

City, State:
    canada
    93 xlt
    so if i keap the 2.5" muffler it shouldnt lose any power? and i know its not a hot rod, but my exhaust is cut off right behind the muffler and i can get one of the pipes and tips for free from my brother cause he put stacks on his truck.

5. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    your lose power and it will sound like crap

6. MountainMonkey

City, State:
    canada
    93 xlt
    i could be totaly wrong, but i've bin thinking about it and i dont see how i would lose any power. right now with the exhaust pipe cut off right behind the muffler the exhaust gas flows totaly free up into the air after leaving th muffler, so having a 3" pipe after the muffler wont hinder the back pressure anymore then it already is with no pipe... and a 3" pipe isnt so small it will restrict airflow so if anything performance wise i see it being the same as what it is now. but then again i've read alot of your post while doing searchs and its obvious you know what your talking about so i'll most likely reconsider the idea now.

i just like the look of big pipes.

7. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    Well obviously compared to having no pipe then yes your gain some top end back.2.25 is really the max for a non motor build Explorer. Your lossing power now even if you "think" you gained it,the louder sound plays tricks on your head.im not a huge beliver in backpressure as i feel that was more of a old school carb thing but i know it will mess with your tq curve.Yea big pipes do look good but that 5" tip will make it poppy and real eko hollow sound.

8. 94Gexplorer

94Gexplorer Active Member

City, State:
    port angeles, wa
    94 ex
    yep use the 2.5 stuff

9. MountainMonkey

City, State:
    canada
    93 xlt
    yup i think i am going to use the 2.5" pipe. its not free but putting another 20$ into my money pit of a truck is no biggie. and it looks like i dont need to bend it at all either to get it to fit.